1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Glasgow uni - PGDE Biology

Discussion in 'Scotland - prospective teachers' started by sheryl3, Feb 15, 2011.

1. Hi,
    I have my interview in Glasgow uni on the 25th of February and I am pretty much a nervous wreck about it :p

The thing which is stumping me is the "recent developments within the secondary education system in scotland" I know that it is CFE, but I am unsure as to how to answer the question. Would I just state that it's the biggest development ever? and list the aims etc?

Also, I have been reading newspapers and I haven't found any big topics which I could talk about if they ask anything about newspaper articles. Does anyone know any/know where I look for info.

What other questions might come up?

I am so nervous :(

Thanks!

2. Hi Sheryl3 - I am applying for Glasgow/Strathclyde/UWS for 2012 entry (PGDE Biology) also... How did the interview go? Do they ask questions about your knowledge of Biology? Hope it went well :)

3. Hi MissHopefull, Ooh good luck with those :)

The interview was alot better than I expected. It was really informal. For our group discussion there was 10 of us with 2 interviewers (one asking us questions and one writing notes)

The written part was on 'why do you want to be a teacher' and we had to write 500 words on that. But it wasn't under exam conditions, so you could take notes in with you.

The actual interview part was more of an informal chat than an interview, they never asked me anything about my knowledge of Biology. They asked things like 'is the curriculum for excellence a good thing or a bad thing and why' and things about working as a team and why religious and moral contributions are good for pupils.

It's all very informal, a lot of the preparation I done for the interview wasn't even needed.

4. Hi Sheryl,

I have an interview for a secondary subject this week and in my letter it describes pretty much what you've just detailed. However, the letter had a 300 word written task. I'm not sure if this is because it is a different subject from biology - do you know if it is actually 500 words?

thanks

5. Hi Ozzy, on my letter it says 300 too. But the interviewer told us to write around a page and a half or around 500 words. I don't think they have a set number of words, just as long as you're not writing something ridiculous like 50. I only wrote around 300, along with most of the other people who were there. I wouldn't worry too much about it, I don't think they care much about the written part.

6. Hi Sheryl3 - Thanks for this. I'm glad it has more of an informal feel as I think it helps everyone including interviewer! I have gaps in my knowledge (botany/zoology) as my degree was predominantly micro and immunology so slightly concerned regarding this. I am considering completing Higher Biology over the next year to brush up on these areas. Thanks again :)