1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Glaring teachers' incompetence

Discussion in 'Education news' started by rutherfordchidi, Nov 15, 2017.

1. rutherfordchidi

rutherfordchidi New commenter

Recently in Kaduna state, Nigeria, teachers were subjected to competency test based on primary four questions. Unfortunately, 21,780 teachers failed woefully. Now, they are about to be sacked. What could be responsible for this gross incompetence of the so-called custodians of knowledge? To get details about what happened just type on google: 'kaduna teachers' saga'

2. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

sacked and replaced with what?

I'm sure somebody could find a "primary question" that any of us wouldn't know

emerald52 likes this.
  3. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

'Where is Kaduna?' would stump me, I'm afraid!

les25paul and Pomz like this.
  4. drvs

drvs Lead commenter

Nigeria eh. I know someone there who has a large sum of money which they need help in transferring out of the country. 15% of it is yours if you can help, just send your bank details and personal information straight over to them.

nomad, MacGuyver, drek and 4 others like this.
  5. slingshotsally

slingshotsally Star commenter

Nigeria.

I did...

http://dailypost.ng/2017/11/10/shocks-el-rufai-releases-teachers-test-papers-photos/

Gosh, that is embarrassing....

6. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

So I read above...But I didn't know before then!

7. MikeyGrzz

MikeyGrzz New commenter

In Nigeria, when a student graduates, they are obliged to spend a year in what's known as the NYSC (Nigeria Youth Service Corps) which is essentially an internship for graduates to show their gratitude to the Federal Government for providing them with a tertiary qualification. Those who avoid doing their NYSC don't get their certificate.

How it works, is that those who have parents with connections get a nice cushy number with a government department in Abuja or Lagos, or maybe with a multinational. Those who don't are sent to schools as teachers, where many of them remain.

It comes as no surprise why so many choose a career in the 419 department of financial services...

drek likes this.
  8. Pomza

Pomza Star commenter

Funny that, their Crown Prince called me yesterday with a very similar problem...

emerald52 and blueskydreaming like this.
  9. Pomza

Pomza Star commenter

10. slingshotsally

150+ in a class, no Teaching Assistants...

MAT CEO's dream! Coming soon to an Academy near you...

drek and emerald52 like this.
  11. drvs

drvs Lead commenter

Don't like it? 20,000+ Nigerian teachers ready to take your post!

drek likes this.
  12. slingshotsally

MAT HR departments are always looking for a supply of teachers, a recruitment expedition to Nigeria is a possibility...

drek and emerald52 like this.
  13. elder_cat

elder_cat Established commenter

Probably not only ready, but more than happy to be given the opportunity to do what a UK teacher is asked to do, under the conditions they are asked to do it, with the resources they have available to do it, and the training and development they receive before being asked to do it.:(

drek likes this.
  14. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

Equally funny is that a vague acquaintance whom I have not had any contact with for many years e-mailed me to say they had had a nasty accident in Nigeria and was hence destitute and desperately needed me to send him some cash by money transfer! I can't recall that he was so bad at English and punctuation and spelling when I knew him.

drek likes this.
  15. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

Already arrived in some schools!

drek likes this.
  16. galerider123

galerider123 Lead commenter

The government, who employed them in the first place, should take some responsibility and train them up, if that is possible, or possibly deploy them in a different way. That's probably 21,780 families who are about to lose their main (low) source of income. Why not use them to teach subjects other than English, if English is the stumbling block, and have better qualified English teachers in schools that teach only English language? I am not sure from the published examples if the teachers have been able to read the question correctly in English, personally. There does not seem to be much chance of replacing them with different candidates, so presumably the government have a better plan than just axing all of those people.

http://fafunwafoundation.tripod.com/fafunwafoundation/id8.html

"The Teaching of English
    English, as indicated much earlier, has for well over a century now continued to enjoy the pride of place in the nation's educational system. Thus, whereas indigenous languages are rarely given more than three lesson periods a week on the school time-table, English never has less than five periods, and may even be given as many as seven or eight periods particularly in schools that prepare students for the Oral English examination. Avidly patronised by commercial publishers,the language enjoys a profusion of pedagogical materials, and in this respect contrasts sharply with the indigenous languages, the vast majority of which lack enough materials for teaching them as L1 even for a few years in Primary School.
    Nevertheless, the teaching of the language in the nation's schools has its own problems too, just as the teaching of the indigenous languages does, as indicated above. By far the most serious of such problems has to do with the quality of the teachers available for teaching the language. Nearly all such teachers are L2 speakers. Few L2 speakers who were themselves taught by other L2 speakers who, in their turn, had learned the language necessarily imperfectly from other L2 speakers of English in the nation's schools today have a good enough command of the written and spoken forms of the language, particularly the latter, that they could impart with confidence to their pupils. To make matters worse still, most such teachers have no training in Contractive Linguistics and therefore are unable to understand and consequently devise effective pedagogical strategies for combating the mostly mother-tongue induced kinds of learners' errors that recur in their pupils' written and oral performances in the language.
    Another problem besetting the teaching of English relates to the books that are available locally in the language. Although the country has come a long way in regard to the production of locally written texts in English, a lot of books particularly for children nevertheless still have to be imported from abroad. And as such books are written and meant for other cultures than ours, one of their glaring shortcomings as books for the nation's schools is their cultural inappropriateness.
    The teaching and examination syllabuses for the language in Primary and Secondary Schools would appear to be over ambitious and therefore inappropriate for those two levels. Thus, primary school children being prepared for the Common Entrance Exam (used for determining admission into Secondary Schools) are expected to be able to tell, for instance, what verb forms, whether singular or plural, the English conjunctions "and" and "as well as" require, a matter which even most adult native speakers of English would not know for certain and would therefore tend to avoid. Similarly, final year students in Secondary Schools are expected in their written English to display mastery and control of various registers, even though their control of the very basics of that language is so shaky that they scarcely can produce two to three grammatically flawless sentences at a time.
    While the latter two problems of suitable textual materials and communicatively appropriate syllabuses can perhaps easily be solved with hard work and determination, this is not the case for the unsatisfactory quality of the teachers of English available for the nation's schools. Ideally, the language ought to be taught in the country by its specially trained native speakers, but given the current down-turn in the country's economy and the great demand for such teachers in other parts of the world such as the Gulf states that can better afford to pay them, the chances of being able to recruit those teachers in adequate numbers for the nation's schools are nil. Accordingly, the possibility of effecting appreciable improvement in the quality of the English spoken in the country as a whole would appear very remote indeed.

slingshotsally likes this.
  17. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

Those glaring teachers - what else could you expect?

galerider123 likes this.
  18. hhhh

hhhh Lead commenter

I suspect most UK teachers would prefer to answer a few questions than have 'learning walks' and observations. Some of the older teachers on here might remember when we would have thought it ridiculous that professionals would be watched over in this way.
    How many teachers have lost their jobs/will to work- or even live-because of this?

slingshotsally, galerider123 and drek like this.
  19. slingshotsally

You jest, surely?