1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Glamour's Golden Age

Discussion in 'Personal' started by anon4046, Feb 26, 2011.

1. Has anyone been watching this on BBC4?

Last week it was about Bright Young Things and Cecil Beaton, this week's about 1930's Hollywood and it's effect on Britain.

Good programme!

2. Has anyone been watching this on BBC4?

Last week it was about Bright Young Things and Cecil Beaton, this week's about 1930's Hollywood and it's effect on Britain.

Good programme!

3. Sounds interesting - no doubt it will be on iplayer and I will have a look. Thanks for the recommendation!

4. Enjoy - it's fascinating.

5. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

I think it's a repeat - I watched it when it was on before and enjoyed it.

6. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

I'll take a peek in a mo.
    Interesting thing glamour. I mean, is it something you just have or can you learn it?

7. Even ordinary women could look really elegant, in studio portrait shots for example, when wearing the fashion of the 1920s.
    Fabulous time.

8. The pre-war equivalent of airbrushing. Super.

9. Hollywood glamour - all part of the oft ill-fated American Dream. But still lovely nonetheless.

I really, honestly do not think that I could look glamorous no matter what Gok or airbrushing could do. Sob! In my mind I am Lauren Bacall (without the cigarette) or Katherine Hepburn. The reality is more like Deidre or Victoria Wood - on a bad day...

10. BelleDuJour

Trouble with glamour is it's all so much effort and doesn't really fit in with today's busy lifestyle.
    We can all scrub up well with a bit of effort but do we really want to do that every day? I know I don't. The best I manage at weekends is a little tinted moisturiser and a drag of the hairbrush over my head. Sadly some people I know wouldn't be seen dead without full slap and hair in place....not even to pop out for a newspaper!

11. Can't believe I missed it first time around.
    I really enjoyed it last night - I could watch that kind of programme til the cows come home.

12. Shifter

Shifter New commenter

An excellent, well researched series. The type of programme the BBC does so well.

13. Agreed! I love BBC4 especially. In fact, BBC4 is the reason I don't mind paying my license fee.

14. I think the secret is ........

hats!
    So elegant.

15. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

At last, I've found other people who watch BBC4. I thought I was the only one. It's an absolute goldmine of information, particularly for Media/Arty subjects. I can't stop recording their stuff onto disc for future reference.

16. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Lead commenter

Me too - it's a fab channel!
    Thanks for flagging up this programme.

17. My man collects black and white photos of the stars of the thirties and forties. There were some fabulously glamourous women around wearing gorgeous gowns. He has <u>hundreds</u> of photos, some framed, most not, and many were taken by the famous photographers of the day, in the studios, so are collector's items. It's a shame they are stuffed into folders and left in a cupboard.
    I'll watch that programme on catch up and tell him about it too. Thanks.

18. It's a great channel. I often flick through the listings, discarding the dross elsewhere and find something esoteric but fascinating on BBC4. Even if I didn't intend to sit down and watch the hook is there to draw me in. I must make a point of checking in advance what's on. I have catch up thankfully, but some good stuff does slip through the net. As CK writes, BBC4 - and 1 and 2 is worth the license fee imo.

19. BelleDuJour

I always wanted to be Ginger Rogers wearing that beautiful, floaty, feathery gown as she twirled with Fred Astaire!
    Sat here in a fleece, leggings and Ugg boots I cannot be further from my fantasy if I tried! [​IMG]

20. Shifter

Shifter New commenter

Sorry to be pedantic - but 'Licence' surely?