1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Giving your CV to an Independent School?

Discussion in 'Independent' started by welshchocoholic1, Sep 7, 2011.

1. welshchocoholic1

welshchocoholic1 Occasional commenter

Hi. Just wondering if anyone could help me. I have recently moved to Birmingham and have handed my CV to some of the local schools. I haven't however done this for the Independent Schools. I have never taught in one, and was just wondering if I had to book an appointment to give in my CV, or if they even accept them? Just any advice at all would be helpful. Thanks.

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

First of all, well done for trying different things. It is not easy to get a job nowadays, and doing whatever you can might just get something.
    Find out all about independent schools - read the clickables inside the Welcome thread, they will give you lots of information and help you get a feeling for the sector.
    I then suggest that you contact the schools (if you cannot find the info you need on their website) and find out the name of someone to write to. If it's a prep school, then Head of the Section or Key Stage, if it's a senior school, the Head of Department. Then write to that person by name. Don't write to The Head of English, but to Mr T Griff.
    Writing to the Head will mean probably that the secretary bins your letter without him or her ever seeing it.
    Best wishes.
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars
    I am timetabled for the October seminars - see you there!

3. I work at an independent school in the West Midlands and got my job by sending an unsolicited e-mail to the generic school address - I attached my CV and asked that they keep it on file. Clearly they were happy to do this as I got a call to interview within six weeks! I did, however, send my CV in May when there are more positions available than September.

You can go here: http://www.isc.co.uk/SchoolSearch_PostcodeandCountySchoolSearch.htm to search for independent schools in the area. Depending on where you are in Birmingham it would be worth searching for schools in the West Midlands, Staffordshire, Warwickshire and Worcestershire. Best of luck!

4. welshchocoholic1

welshchocoholic1 Occasional commenter

Sorry it's taken me so long to relpy! Thank you both for your advice. Helpful as always! Will let you know the outcome.