1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Giving up TLR

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by bizent, Mar 23, 2012.

1. bizent

bizent Star commenter

This is something I have been thinking long and hard about and have decided to give up as I think people were destined to be managers and I am not one of them.
    Anyway, it is likely that someone on my team will take over. I'm sure it will work out fine and they will be great but at the moment I am wondering if I should just move on to another school.
    Has anyone ever "stayed on" and found it OK? Or the opposite?

2. chriszwinter1

chriszwinter1 New commenter

Have a think about this, please. You have no right to give up a TLR as it comes with the job. A HT can exercise discretion and allow you to drop the TLR and then increase your timetable load or he/she can insist that your resign your whole post.

3. bizent

bizent Star commenter

Trust me, it's ALL I've thought about since last September.

4. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

Biz : I've long loved you, and I applaud you and your very introspective admission - I don't doubt you're good at what you do in saying that and there is absolutely no shame in ditching a TLR that comes with responsibility you don't feel up to or don't enjoy at all. Far too many folk sit on them for the cash doing a pretty **** job rather than passing it to someone else. Have a chat to your head - explain that you relish teaching and would like to relinquish the responsibility to concentrate on your classroom teaching practice. ;)

5. chriszwinter1

Then see if your ht will allow it. Do whatever's right for you and to hell with the school.

6. becktonboy

becktonboy New commenter

No right is enshrined in the STPCD - it remains quiet on the matter, meaning simply no provision is made either way. On the second point however no, the job comes with responsibilities, that much is quite clear, TLRs are for additional responsibility, they do not represent a job as such. TLRs can be voted away by the governors with 3 years pay safeguarding but the GB has no right to then dismiss a teacher.
    there is no legal basis for this.
    see many threads passim on this issue

7. strawbs

strawbs Occasional commenter

done it; stayed on; some slightly awkward monents; but on the whole no probs; so glad I did it!!

8. chriszwinter1

But if a job is advertised as having a TLR, that forms part of the post and therefore part of the contract. HTs can restructure whenever they like and redistribute the TLRs as they see fit, subject to the three year protection. I'm not arguing that the the GB can dismiss the teacher at the end of the three years but it can't.
    If there is a department of five people, led by someone on a TLR, who wishes to resign the TLR, the head could argue that the school needs a TLR holder for that department because that job needs to be done. If none of the other four wants it or is able to do it, the HT could theoretically make one of them redundant because the post of HoD has to be filled.
    My question is - where does someone who wishes to keep a job but relinquish the TLR end up if the HT doesn't want to or isn't able to allow the teacher to return to an MPS/UPS job?

9. becktonboy

becktonboy New commenter

it's just the wrong question. The real one is "What does a head do when someone relinquishes a TLR and no-one else wants to take it on?" ....

10. chriszwinter1

That's the problem. About 10 years ago, a similar situation arose with ASTs. We had two of them, and the AST portion of their salary and therefore their workload were funded by the LEA (as it was at the time), but the HT wanted them to do what he wanted and not work in other schools on their AST days, which resulted in a series of increasingly strongly worded letters between the authority and the school. So one of the ASTs got sick and tired of being caught between the two and wanted to give up the AST role and return to his former post. Trouble was, that he had no job to go back to simply because he had vacated it and it had been filled by someone else. Solution: retirement, as he was in his late 50s. Doesn't help the OP but is an example of the mess you can get into.

11. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

That's different. An AST post is on the leadship scale. Main scale teaching jobs with TLRs attached as quite different as the main scale teaching is one part, and the teaching and learning responsibility another.

12. My friend gave up her TLR and the school were happy to keep her on. It was a large Primary and there was someone else who was willing to take it on. How did you get on?

13. Does anyone have a letter in which they would be willing to share?

14. strawbs

15. strawbs

(alt - I have posted more sensibly on your other thread!)

16. Could someone please clarify - I was employed as a class teacher, I later applied and got a tlr for subject leadership. Can I now resign the tlr position without resigning my post as a class teacher?

17. chriszwinter1

Our discussion in earlier posts in this thread suggests that there is no straightforward answer. Therefore, my advice is to ask your HT.

18. Sally_90

Sally_90 Occasional commenter

I did this several years ago. I was given a TLR 'in post' as it were, and gave it up when the additional burden became difficult to bear after my husband became seriously ill. Just after I returned to work from compassionate leave,the school embarked on a year of LEA support for my subject (Maths) as per our SDP;the extra work /meetings and the sheer intensity of it all made me think it just wasn't worth it, I was stressed enough without all the extra work- I needed all my time to be a good classroom teacher.
    I went to my Head and told him I wanted to relinquish my TLR. He was fine about it and could understand my reasons.He announced it to the staff next morning, said that if anyone was interested in doing the job they should see him and that if more than one person wanted it he would have to ask for a brief letter of application and conduct short interviews. Only one person showed any interest (not surprisingly!) and we had a new Maths TLR postholder within a fortnight! I'm so glad I did what I did up as the Maths Consultant from the LEA turned out to be an absolute menace; dealing with her on a prolonged basis would have tipped me over the edge! The extra allowance just wasn't worth it [​IMG]

Anyway, back to the question! As far as I've been led to understand, a TLR is open to change on both sides-Teacher and Management, and any changes to additional responsibilities do not affect your original contract as a class teacher.

19. You can resign a TLR without resigning your post - they are, as you will see on your salary slip, two separate contractual entities, each individually remunerated. You may well need to give the usual notice (one of 3 resignation windows throughout the course of the year), but your head may accept your resigning your TLR sooner, by mutual consent. A TLR is for an identified area responsibility, and it would be rare if there wasn't someone else looking to develop their career.