1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Giving up supply. Too unpredictable. Alternative careers?

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by Caldwellthe1, Feb 9, 2016.

1. Caldwellthe1

Caldwellthe1 New commenter

I have had my fill with supply.
    When I want work and try hard to get it, I never do. When I do not or cannot do jobs I get offered work.
    I am finding the whole experience unpleasant and stressful. The work itself is enjoyable, but I am struggling with the unreliability and unrpedicability of it all in secondary in particular.
    Any ideas of alternative careers without a massive expense of retraining.
    Many thanks and well done all you who are succeeding in supply.

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

3. pleasemiss__

pleasemiss__ Occasional commenter

I haven't found the work unreliable in my area, but I do find the lack of a permanent contract quite unsettling. I hope you figure out a career path. I'm looking at permanent admin roles currently. Hardly the dream job but a realistic alternative at the moment.

4. les25paul

les25paul Star commenter

Some agencies are not solely Education recruitment but have departments that recruit for other sectors, eg; care work, IT, office work etc. Does your agency do this? If not you might want to think about joining one that does.

This might provide you with some extra work during the school holidays when other workers are on leave. One of mine did send out a general email with the offer of some office work over the last Christmas hols (although I was too lazy and felt that dossing in front of the TV, late nights in the pub and going fishing were a better use of time then).

I have done a bit of tutoring both in the past and recently and I know of some schools that run Easter revision classes which your agency might be able to put you forward for.

pepper5 likes this.