1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Giving up hope of becoming a full time languages teacher

Discussion in 'NQTs and new teachers' started by andrewliv, Feb 29, 2012.

1. where in the country are you?

2. The rules on NQTs and supply work may well change soon and, although I can't guarantee this, it may well be that the time limit will be raiswed from 16 months to 5 years (as it is in Wales) after qualifying - in which case you may be eligible to work again on supply. Other than that, contact schools direct, lodge a CV with them, get back in contact with your university tutor and see if they know of any jobs on the 'grapevine'. Keep looking at the LA websites - they often put short term (1 term or more) posts online and in the local press rather than the TES.
    The Sage

3. I'm in a similar position to Stigofthedump although I am still on supply. I've had very few actual teaching jobs and absolutely none in mfl. Am I entitled to stay on supply as a TA and Advanced Cover Supervisor when my time limit as a supply teacher runs out? Also, can I teach as a home tutor or in other places outside of schools when my time as a supply teacher runs out as there are very few openings for mfl NQT years and I am questioning how I am going to continue to earn any money at all soon.

4. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

When your allowance for working as a supply teacher has expired, there is nothing stopping you being a Cover Supervisor or TA (on lower pay, of course, and no active teaching in the role).
    You could also teach int eh private sector (any age) or the post16 State sector as Induction is not obligatory for those areas. private tutoring is not governed by the supply rule. Do as much as you like/can get but remember to keep books and keep the Inland Revenue informed.

5. Thanks a lot Jubilee, I think I'll start advertising for evening tutoring whilst doing supply in the day time.