1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Giving the parents feedback

Discussion in 'Private tutors' started by tweetypi88, Mar 22, 2012.

1. I am currently tutoring a 10 year old pupil maths and english. As it's only an hour per week I do wonder whether she is progressing or not. I try and cover some reading,writing, grammar work every lesson but as it's so short it is'r hardto see how much she's progressing. Her mum asks me how she is getting along after every lesson and I find it difficult giving her feedback. Does anyone else feel this?

2. I am currently tutoring a 10 year old pupil maths and english. As it's only an hour per week I do wonder whether she is progressing or not. I try and cover some reading,writing, grammar work every lesson but as it's so short it is'r hardto see how much she's progressing. Her mum asks me how she is getting along after every lesson and I find it difficult giving her feedback. Does anyone else feel this?

3. Do you give her work to do on her own - like homework? That would help you to build up a progress record.

4. hhhh

hhhh Lead commenter

Why not use the official levels and do as you would in a class? As of course you know, you have to be able to provide eveidnce of progress for your HOD/Ofsted etc for every pupil in every lesson, so just do the same as you do with a whole class?

5. I structure my lessons so that my pupils undertake some independent activities. I mark these to assess their progress. If they do not achieve a certain mark on those activities, I know that they have not grasped that skill yet and so teach it again, in a different way, next time. I also re test them on the skills a few weeks later. This way of working also makes it easy to provide parents with feedback after every lesson.