1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Giving "text book" answers at interview...

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by alamph, Mar 31, 2012.

1. I have my second interview for an NQT job after the Easter
    holidays. My last interview went really well, I got excellent feedback and the
    head said I was a close 2nd and only lost out because the other
    candidate gave “more rounded text book answers”. He also said they loved my enthusiasm
    which clearly showed in my answers.

I am keen to make sure this is not the reason I lose out on another post!

Has anyone got any tips for giving “rounded
    text book answers” while still letting my own enthusiasm and personality shine through?

[​IMG]

2. I have my second interview for an NQT job after the Easter
    holidays. My last interview went really well, I got excellent feedback and the
    head said I was a close 2nd and only lost out because the other
    candidate gave “more rounded text book answers”. He also said they loved my enthusiasm
    which clearly showed in my answers.

I am keen to make sure this is not the reason I lose out on another post!

Has anyone got any tips for giving “rounded
    text book answers” while still letting my own enthusiasm and personality shine through?

[​IMG]

3. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

I'm not entirely sure that all schools would like 'textbook answers'!
    To me it smacks of being able to regurgitate someone else's ideas possibly at the expense of utilising one's own original ideas.
    Might this be a case of 'something to say?
    Will be interested in what other people think.

4. Don't really feel qualified to answer this question as my interviews are never very good. I speak from my opinions and personal experience. As far as I am aware you should have a text book answer for the safeguarding question at very least. Feedback from interviews always comment that I come across as genuine but I don't tick enough of the other things they wanted me to say at some point or other. (rewording there ofc), The feedback usually comment on one or two things I didn't say when answering a question. Even though I obviously know these things and I usually think I implied this. So, I think I need more rounded textbook answers too. Can't do any worse.

5. Yes Lara I think you might be right, but it could be that they mean that there are certain things they expect to hear - eg in a safeguarding question, they would always want to hear "pass on any concerns straight away". Maybe it was just that the OP did not have the right basics in their answers? Just a thought.

6. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Doesn't say "Dear Theo", but I'll stick my oar in anyway.
    Text book answers? What is this - an oral examination?
    Yes, the Safeguarding/Child Protection answers should be "text-book", in the sense that you need to ensure that you understand fully the safeguarding issues and express them in the answers that you give. But don't give something that is Learned Off By Heart.
    And you must not give Learned Off By Heart answers to other questions, either - that is one very good reason why we do NOT give answers here to interview questions. Most schools want an individual answer, not some standardised textbook response. They are thinking of employing you, as a separate person, not some automaton.
    If you are told to provide “rounded text book answers”, then you need to ensure that you are actually answering the question that they are asking. If you waffle on, go off the point, answer only one part of a two-part question, then they might feel that you are not providing them with what they want, the real core answer.
    Best wishes!