1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

giving students responsibility in the classroom - specific examples of how to do this effectively?

Discussion in 'Behaviour' started by Teacher-in-Training42, Oct 7, 2017.

1. Teacher-in-Training42

Teacher-in-Training42 New commenter

I'm teaching students who have been kicked out of school and colleges

please help

2. sarah_dann1

sarah_dann1 Occasional commenter TES Behaviour peer advisor

What age are these students and what is the environment? How many do you have in a group?

At all levels I have found giving responsibility for getting books out, writing the date on the board, organising equipment, giving messages to members of staff, clearing things away etc work well in terms of running the classroom and keeping certain students busy and involved.

Can you tell us a bit more about your environment though so we can provide more specific examples? Older students also respond well to being given responsibilities and feeling part of the group but they may need to feel they're harder/more 'grown up' tasks. For example I had one Year 11 student arrange our use of the computer suite directly with the facilities manager each month. He enjoyed that external adult communication and feeling like the class depending on him remembering to do it.

3. Teacher-in-Training42

Hi its young adults and its teaching young offenders.

4. sarah_dann1

sarah_dann1 Occasional commenter TES Behaviour peer advisor

Ok so they will need to be tangible jobs. What things need doing in the classroom? Can you collaboratively (you and your students) come up with a list of what needs doing and then make a rota for who will take responsibility for it. Perhaps they will respond well to clarity and the idea that you are a team working together to improve their life chances:
    It might be things like:

Admin jobs:
    - resources need photocopying, labeling with students' names and handing out
    - Whiteboard and speakers need turning on
    - date and title need writing on the board
    - resources need collecting at the end of the lesson and perhaps to be returned to an office
    - booking facilities with other members of staff

Eco jobs:
    - sourcing a recycling bin for your room
    - collecting recycling and taking it to an appropriate point each week
    - turning lights and computers off at the end of the day
    - creating information leaflets about eco issues

Trips jobs:
    - speaking to members of the public to arrange travel
    - negotiating student discount for admission
    - sourcing clipboards/any resources needed
    - writing and printing permission slips (if these still apply for their ages)

Do you think any of these could work/be adapted for your type of lessons?

5. Teacher-in-Training42

I was thinking of something along the lines of class involvement for the learning...like writing all student ideas on the board during group discussion...any other like that?

6. lateesha27

lateesha27 New commenter

Hello,

I also teach students who have been excluded from mainstream and there's several techniques that I use to engage them in learning. My students do not enjoy writing so when planning work we use grids. This idea came from a CPD session I attended. These can be hand drawn and resemble a large naughts and crosses diagram. The idea is that the question goes into the middle box and any answers, even wrong ones, are wrote in the other boxes, which allows learners to try and link their ideas.

I also use Kahoot in my classes. Kahoot is an online quiz website whereby you can select any topic. The students compete with one another by logging in through their mobile phones and answering the questions. It's really engaging. If you teach maths it may also be worth downloading a prodigy account. Prodigy is a maths game which allows you to select the topic and levels for the students.They can log in on their phones and computers and can become quite addictive for the learners! Prodigy also keeps a score board which you could use to motivate them in lessons.

I also attended a CPD session based on teaching and learning and they spoke about changing the focus of direction the class in order to keep the students engaged. I do this by standing in different parts of the room as I teach and I also bought a whiteboard pen which I use to write on the windows sometimes to explain the work!

Student led learning is most effective. Sometimes I will allow one of my students to teach part of the lesson and they love this! I brief them before hand and I allow them to lead and encourage the others to start the tasks. You will find that most of our learners are kinaesthetic learners, they are practical and need to be constantly engaged therefore techniques such as role play work well as it gets the students off their seats.

I hope this is helpful!