1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Giving SATs test scores to parents

Discussion in 'Primary' started by foxyferrari, Jul 14, 2011.

1. Hi folks, I'd appreciate some views on this one please. I'm a Y6 teacher and have recently given my class their KS2 SATs levels. I also shared their scores with them (and their parents) where I felt it was relevant - ie the 2 boys who scored 100 and 98 in the Maths and the lad who came from Poland 4 yrs ago with no English who got an amazing score in the Reading. I'm fairly relaxed about letting them have this information. However, my own daughter's primary school is refusing to let parents have the test scores, only the levels. I've asked, twice, and been told it was 'unfair to give some parents scores and not others' so I have made an appointment to see the head and class teacher next week. I've a good relationship with the school and have not been a pushy parent so far but I can feel a bit of a skirmish coming on here. This information should be available to parents if they ask surely? The secondary schools will have this test score information so it is not confidential. What do other schools do?

2. markuss

markuss Occasional commenter

The experts responsible for determining NCT levels will tell anyone that asks that once thresholds are established and levels given, the precise marks then become irrelevant.
    If Level 5 = 60 to 70, then a mark of 60 is the same as 70.
    So, it makes assessment sense just to report the level.
    It also makes it more compatible with the other half of the end of key stage assessment. The TA isn't reported as a mark, is it? That'd be nonsense.

3. TA often reported as the level PLUS a, b or c - this is how you show 2 sub levels progress or whatever you are required to do. If 60 is the same as 70 then why do all the secondary schools want the test scores as well as the levels then?

4. Gratzia

Gratzia New commenter

I told all my children their levels and informed those children who narrowly missed a level how many marks they missed it by - they said it made them feel better knowing that they did well. If the other children wanted to know their score I told them too. It's the same with parents - if they want to know the score I can't see why you would want to keep it from them. If my own child had just missed a level it would make me feel better knowing that they did well and if their score was low then at least I would know what areas need revising etc.

5. razziegyp

razziegyp New commenter

I give my children all their actual papers back (before they get stashed in the archives) so that they can add up the scores themselves, check which ones they got wrong and, if they want, ask why they didn't get a particular mark on the Comprehension. We're used to doing that very freely on all the practice papers so it seems natural to finish similarly. We discuss thresholds too, so they are able to judge where they are in the grand scheme of things. Thus they can also easily pass on their marks to their parents. Would also tell parents at Parents Evening if they just scraped it, were secure or outstanding if they wanted to know. Don't know why schools have to be so precious about it all- is it a power thing?

6. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

I tell my children ( and their parents if they want to know) the scores and the thresholds if they ask. Some are so relieved at the level they have achieved they don't want to know, some do!

7. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

We tell all our children and their parents the level and give scores if they want to know. Children and parents have the choice about scores, but most want to know.

I'm used to giving children their papers to look at, but my current school doesn't do that so I won't be this year.

8. Thanks for the responses tonight - it's reassuring to know that most people have a free flow of information about test scores. As one of the earlier posters pointed out - it can be good for the kids to know how far off a particular level they were - or indeed how near to the next one up. My school does this, I hope my daughter's school sees sense and allows parents to see the full picture - if they want.