1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Giving out letters...

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by geniegirl, Dec 28, 2011.

1. Hi all,
    I don't know about you but I always seem to be
    giving out letters! In our school letters get given
    To the youngest child, and on an average day I
    seem to give out at least 2 letters!!
    Our children keep their book bags in a 'girls'
    or 'boys' box, but spend so long finding their own.
    But the time they've found their bag and I've given
    out 30+ letters we seem to have wasted a considerable
    amount of time!

What do others do to help reduce this time? Any
    advice/ideas would be great!!

2. Msz

Msz Established commenter

We hand them directly to parents/carers and ask them to sign for anything important (prevents the "I didn't know" scenario )

3. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Star commenter

Ours each have a drawer with a bag in. Letters are put straight in the bags and the bags go home at the end of the day.

4. If we have lots of letters, we sit children in a circle with their book bags which they hold open. We walk around and post the letters in. They love it and it's quick and efficient. We then try to remember to write names on absent children's letters, so we don't get the" I didn't get one" response

5. sadika

sadika New commenter

Suggest the school's policy is to give to oldest (more responsible??) child in family - in our case this means about 1/2 our children need a letter and once they get to know this it makes things easier. Tend to give them out at the door so then they go straight to parents.

6. Msz

Do your parents actually look in book bags? I'm impressed ... can you tell most of mine don't.
    Before we broke up a parent handed me a book bag she'd found on the way to school. It was soaking wet and had obviously been there all night in the rain. When I opened it every single letter and piece of work the child had taken home were there along with reading records and books all dripping wet [​IMG]

7. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Star commenter

The bags are transparent so they can see if there's anything in it. Of course you can't actually MAKE them read it...

8. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

It's also funny how the same parents NEVER get the letters, like we were missing them out deliberately.
    I'm not sure if giving them to the older children would work as they are more likely to go home on their own and lose them on the way. We also put them straight into book bags at the end of the day but, agreed, you can't make parents read them. It's quite funny when they swear blind they haven't had one and you dig it out of their child's stuffed book bag in front of them "Oh look! Here it is!".

9. We email the parents with letters and those who do not have computer access can get a hard copy which is given out as they leave at the end of the day into their hand then straight to the person picking up. However we still get the ones who reckon they didn't get anything!

10. Honey Loop

Honey Loop New commenter

We have a polypocket above their coat hook where we put letters. That way we can see at a glance which parents haven't taken letters. In reality, it's most of them, so if it's important, the TA enlarges it onto A3 and we pin it to our parent board.
    If they don't take them, they cannot moan that they don't get any information.

11. We email them all out. I work in a school where all parents are expected to have an email address. If it is something important then we send a hard copy home but we get all the children to sit in a circle and hand everything out to them like that.

12. Msz

that is a huge expectation ... I assume it is a fairly wealthy area

13. It's when a Y6 kid shows up at the classroom door, two minutes to the bell bearing four piles of different fiddiy sized different letters with a "these need to go out tonight Miss" that you really want to scream.

14. sadika

sadika New commenter

We subscribe to a service that means we can text everyone or target a group - maybe one class ... evryone seems to have a mobile phone number so everyone does get important information or a reminder! Not 100% effective as we still have the ones who claim no knowledge of something going on!!!

15. Msz

I had to contact a parent about one of my class and none of the numbers on the child's record were in use. As the child has 3 siblings in school we checked their details too and when we compared there were 7 different mobile numbers none of them actually connected to the family any longer!!
    I really don't know what the answer is

16. OP firstly get the school to do oldest child gets letters (if they won't encourage the head to come and give out the letters that you get with 5 mins notice they will soon change their mind!!- luckily my head is the old rec.teacher!) and then instead of boys and girls boxes we have a sibling and non-sibling box. This is the second year of doing it this way and is very efficient. The children know if they are in the red or blue box. We introduce this in 2nd week of children starting in sept when we give out the book bags.
    Although I am now thinking of changing to the plastic wallet above the coat hook idea - that is when i have made major changes so the parents actually come into the classroom!

17. That actually drives me mad! The rest of the school finish 10-15 minutes later than us, and the secretary has been known (at least 3 times in the last few weeks of school) to come down as I am opening the door to parents. Once, I refused to give them out and the Head ended up coming down! Grrr....
    I love the polypocket idea too - going to see if I have enough room about our pegs for that! Could put all the non sibling children on one side of the cloakroom to make it easier!

18. It is an international school. So yes fairly wealthy and a requirement of the school

19. We have a letter day (a Thursday). Anyone who wants to send a letter out gets it to the office by thursday and the older children deliver the pile. Our children sit in a circle under strict instruction not to look at anything and put it straight in their book bags.

This means that parents know that they should check their child's book bag on a Thursday - it's their fault if they then can't be bothered and miss something!

There is the odd time where they get forgotten and they come on other days but generally the system is quite good.

20. Our schools policy is that all letters have to be with the teachers by lunchtime to give out, to save the 'end of the day' fuss and to give all the teachers time to read what is actually being sent out.

To save time ,I spend five mins of my lunch time stuffing letters into book bags - is quite interesting to do as it gives me chance to see which parents actually empty the book bags and which clearly don't bother...We don't seem to get too many letters tho, maybe 2 or 3 a week