1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Giving notice

Discussion in 'Independent' started by Guthrum, Sep 8, 2011.

1. Guthrum

Guthrum New commenter

Dear Theo

My independent school contract says I need to give one term's notice. Is this legally binding by the laws of the land and by European law? I would like to apply for a post starting in January 2012 (also independent). I have been in this post for 13 months and doubt that my HM would release me.

Many thanks!

Guthrum

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

I don't know when your term starts, but handing in your notice on the first day of term should release you for January.
    But you have no guarantee that you will get this job, so dangerous!
    All you can do is talk to your Head beforehand, to say if s/he would release you. I think that if this is in the contract that you signed, it is binding. And the other indy is unlikely to wish to offer you the job and encourage you to break your contract with your current school.
    The best that you could hope for is for the other school to be willing to wait for you until Easter.
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars
    I am timetabled for the October seminars - see you there!

3. Guthrum

Guthrum New commenter

Thank you Theo for your prompt response. It is as I suspected and my term has already begun. However, the post I am interested in has said that they will wait until the best candidate can come, which would be Easter in most cases in the independent sector, with a term's notice.

Thanks again

Guthrum

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

What you need to do now is pop over to the JobSeekers Fprum, and open the clickables inside the Welcome thread.
    They will help you write an effective application that will, I hope, get you an interview, and then the job.
    Best wishes.
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars
    I am timetabled for the October seminars - see you there!