1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Giving Notice

Discussion in 'Retirement' started by angiebabe, Jan 19, 2011.

1. Can someone tell me when do I have to give Notice that I want to retire if I want to go at the end of the Summer Term? And is it the same for every LEA?
    Thanks

2. Its the normal Notice date, on or before 31st May, the same for all LEA schools. If you are definitely going to leave then you could hand it in now to give your school plenty of time to replace you. You need to apply to TPS at least 3 months before your pension is due as its a busy time for them.

3. baitranger

baitranger New commenter

In my opinion it's best to put your resignation and intention to retire in writing and to get a written receipt from your employer.
    You could ask the school secretary to give you a signed receipt-or prepare one to be signed by her/him.
    You can print the forms you need from the Teachers' Pensions website. The school will need to complete one and send it off for you, confirming your age and salary.

4. Why? I can't see any benefit whatsoever of giving more notice than you have to, especially if leaving early.