1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Giving notice when on a fixed term contract

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by dphathaway92, Jul 12, 2019.

1. dphathaway92

dphathaway92 New commenter

Hi everyone!

I am currently working a fixed term teaching contract from that is due to end at Christmas next year (2020). I am hoping to find a permanent role that will start in september 2020 but am unsure of how it would work with handing in notice to leave my contract early. Would it work the same as a permanent contract, whereby I would give written notice before may half term that states I intend to leave at the end of August before the start of the new term. Would I still get paid until the end of August if i did this? Or could the school terminate the contract earlier and only pay me until the end of July? I am trying to get as much information on this as possible so I can make the correct moves in this situation. Any advice or help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Dan

2. dphathaway92

** I have just accepted a fixed term contract, which is not due to start until October 2019 and terminate December 2020. Sorry for the mis-type in my original post

agathamorse likes this.
  3. Skeoch

Skeoch Lead commenter

What does the contract say? That is the key point. Different schools (Academy or not, independent, whatever) will follow different rules.

Lilysowner likes this.
  4. frustum

frustum Star commenter

If it says they follow STPCD, then yes, resign by end of May with effect from end of August, and they will pay you from then. But check whether there is a shorter (or longer) notice period in your contract.

agathamorse likes this.
  5. dphathaway92

I am still awaiting to be send the full terms and conditions of my contract to be sent to me. The only points I have seen on the document I signed were the length of the contract and the salary point. Then I've been instructed to wait to recieve the full conditions. I am chasing that up with the school now and hopefully the information regarding notice periods is included.
    If not, do I simply assume they follow STPCD?

Lilysowner likes this.
  6. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

Fixed term contracts of a year or more typically have the same notice periods as permanent contracts but you will have to read yours to find out if that is true for you. We could all guess at when you can give notice but really they are just guesses because we don't know what your contract says.

You would be unwise to assume STPCD without some evidence! (btw STPCD doesn't deal with notice periods, they are in another standard document, the national 'Conditions of Service for School Teachers in England and Wales', usually called 'the Burgundy Book'. Schools that use STPCD for pay etc usually also use the Burgundy Book, but if it isn't an LA school you can't guarantee that.)

agathamorse likes this.
  7. dphathaway92

I appreciate it is all guess work without seeing an actual contract. I was just wondering if anyone had come across this before or knew that it was common practice for fixed term contracts to have a different policy when it comes to giving notice and being paid.

Thanks so much for your advice, I will try and get them to send me the full contract asap :)

Lilysowner likes this.