1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Giving notice on whilst on maternity leave

Discussion in 'Pregnancy' started by effinajeckles, Oct 29, 2015.

1. effinajeckles

effinajeckles New commenter

Hi,

I'm currently pregnant with my second child, my first is almost 2. I've been working full-time and if I'm honest it's killing me. I feel like in order to be a good teacher I'm being a bad mum. I'm thinking of returning to nannying after having maternity leave with number 2 and have already been asked by a family whether I would be interested. Is there any difference to my maternity pay if I give notice before I go on maternity leave or during my maternity leave? I plan on ticking the 'don't pay me enhanced maternity pay' box as my decision is not yet definite and I don't want to be in a position where I have to pay money back. I'll be starting maternity leave at the end of term 4. I would have this conversation with my head, but she hasn't forgiven me for having my first baby so I don't feel I can ask her for advice. Hope you can help.

2. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

Firstly - The concept of your head not having 'forgiven' you for for having a baby is startling. I'm sure she has better things to fret over, should be well used to dealing with staffing issues, including that of looking after her staff in line with the law on maternity rights. From your point of view, it's business, not pleasure so whether another, indeed anyone, is 'happy' about your choice to parent is highly irrelevant.

In answer to your question - There is no difference to your maternity pay if you resign before your leave, or during. The main difference with resigning while on leave is that the usual resignation dates apply. You are right to request withholding of the enhanced pay so, should you change your mind and return, you can take the pay as a lump sum.