1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Giving Notice for August start

Discussion in 'Scotland - education news' started by scottishgal, May 1, 2020.

1. scottishgal

scottishgal New commenter

Hi everyone,

I have an interview for a job that is an August start (currently in a full time, permanent role). If successful, when do I hand in my notice to make sure I get paid over summer? Do I just state that my last working day is the last day of the summer holidays? SMT at my school can be very spiteful, so feel if they have chance to save some money they will do so!

2. bigjimmy2

bigjimmy2 Lead commenter

Four working weeks notice, ie 20 working days. Each day of holiday in July/August counts as a working day.

3. scottishgal

scottishgal New commenter

I don't think that is right? This would mean you could hand notice in during the holidays?

4. bigjimmy2

bigjimmy2 Lead commenter

I think it is! I resigned once during the summer holidays (in the noughties) but I know the legislation has changed since then. When I did it I'm pretty sure it was a calendar month but now I think it is 20 working days, of which holidays count. I'm not quite 100% sure so check with your union. Anybody else on here any the wiser?

5. catmother

catmother Star commenter

Was it not changed a few years ago to be 4 working weeks? I seem to remember getting a letter about this.
    It's not really an issue as OP says she has an interview,therefore she will find out if she's successful soon. Surely,it's best to put notice sooner than later so school can look for a new teacher? As for the dates to put in resignation letter,I assume it's the day before her current school would have gone back in August and that will insure she will get paid over the summer.

bigjimmy2 likes this.
  6. catmother

catmother Star commenter

Assuming you are in a state school,this is dealt by your LA HR department. You put in the letter to your HT but it's the HR dept that deal with what is legally correct.

bigjimmy2 likes this.
  7. alendra

alendra New commenter

Four working weeks doesn't include holidays any more. I know we've had staff caught out by thinking they could include them, and being required to come back to work the remaining days at the start of the new term.

bigjimmy2 and catmother like this.
  8. catmother

catmother Star commenter

Yes,I seem to remember this a couple of years ago.
    Still,the OP has got plenty time as her interview is taking place soon.

9. Flyonthewall75

Flyonthewall75 New commenter

Yes, changes were brought in in 2017:

https://www.nasuwt.org.uk/uploads/assets/uploaded/5e46152c-584f-4826-b303db7a1e94612e.pdf

Reminder of Change to Contractual Notice Period:
    'Now an unpromoted class teacher wishing to resign will be required to submit four working weeks' notice - no element of the school holidays will count as contractual notice.' (SNCT/17/57)

As has been pointed out, it's your LA that is your employer, not the school / HT, but of course it is basic courtesy to inform your HT about your resignation. The last day of your employment in your current school / LA (if you are successful) would, therefore, be the last day of the summer holidays before you take up your new appointment.

It is very important that you do not have a break in service and your LA employer should ensure that everything is done correctly. Just to put your own mind at rest, I would contact your HR department and union to make sure you have understood the regulations correctly.

If you are invited for interview, you will need to ask for time off. Even if you are working from home, it's important to follow the correct procedures. It's not so unusual for schools / LAs to be flexible with the period of notice if it suits them. If they can get a replacement member of staff in post for the start of the new school session, they may be agreeable to let you go early. Failing that, it is up to the two LAs involved to come to a mutually acceptable arrangement (I'm assuming here you are hoping to move from one Scottish LA to another).

10. teachaaaaaa

teachaaaaaa New commenter

Absolutely correct around main scale staff now requiring 4 WORKING weeks notice. I moved jobs in 2018 and I handed notice in three weeks before the end of the summer term. I was told that I would indeed be required to return for the first week of the new term. In the end as they filled my post with someone leaving probation year who didn’t need to give notice I was released to leave at the time I wanted but only as the school had filled my post and didn’t need me. The days of getting a job on the Thursday of the last week, handing in your notice on the Friday and never being seen again are over. I think it was a fair change, not excessive and allows for some form of effective transition; many schools were left in the lurch for the start of new academic years given how hard it is to recruit over summer.

JPM1967 and bigjimmy2 like this.