1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Giving notice after maternity leave

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by minxyfish, May 16, 2012.

1. Hi everyone,
    I am due in January and planning to start mat leave at Christmas this year and take a whole year off, returning on the first day of the Christmas holidays 2013.
    I am really not enjoying my job at the moment for several reasons, and if at all financially possible I would like to only return for long enough to avoid having to pay my maternity pay back, and then leave.
    Could anyone help me with two questions, please:
    Firstly, I am currently 0.6 but will be 0.5 from September - so how many weeks would I have to return for? Would it be 26, rather than 13 because I will only be 0.5?
    Secondly, how do these number of weeks fit in with the notice period that teachers normally have to give?
    Thanks in advance,
    Minxy

2. frustum

frustum Star commenter

If you're doing 0.5 when you go on maternity leave, you need to do 13 weeks of 0.5 to keep the maternity pay. If you returned doing fewer hours per week, you would need to do more than 13 weeks.
    Notice periods are as normal. So if you want to do just the 13 weeks, return at the start of October and resign to leave at Christmas. If you don't go back until the Christmas holidays, you would then not be entitled to leave until Easter/end of April. (If it suited everybody, you might be able to return on a 0.4 contract, as you'd still have done your 6.5 weeks-worth by the end of April - although if you moved to another school you might not have done enough by the end of the Easter holiday, so be careful.)
    You might be able to negotiate to leave at a point other than the end of term, but there's no entitlement.

3. Thanks, Frustum, that's really helpful :)