1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Giving Learning Journeys to parents

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by lemonyk, Jul 11, 2011.

1. Just wondering if it is the norm to send Learning Journeys home at the end of the year or if these are kept and given to the next teacher? Do they serve a real purpose for the year 1 teacher or will they be shoved at the back of the cupboard and never looked at?
    I took over my reception class in january as an NQT and have tried to keep learning journeys up to date and filled with relevant observations and work, however I feel that some of them are lacking, particularly the boys. I don't want parents to receive them and think 'is that it?!' Obviously children have been learning and succeeding in reception but I am aware that some learning journeys may not reflect this. Lack of mentor support and TA input has contributed to this situation!

2. Just wondering if it is the norm to send Learning Journeys home at the end of the year or if these are kept and given to the next teacher? Do they serve a real purpose for the year 1 teacher or will they be shoved at the back of the cupboard and never looked at?
    I took over my reception class in january as an NQT and have tried to keep learning journeys up to date and filled with relevant observations and work, however I feel that some of them are lacking, particularly the boys. I don't want parents to receive them and think 'is that it?!' Obviously children have been learning and succeeding in reception but I am aware that some learning journeys may not reflect this. Lack of mentor support and TA input has contributed to this situation!

3. When my youngest daughter finished reception we were given her Learning Journeys/FSP. I was furious as half of the goals weren't achieved and we knew she was capable and had been at the end of pre-school. I wrote a stinking letter to the teacher asking her if she even knew who our daughter was. I now am a deputy manager in an early years setting and a school governor and I realise that you can't mark those goals off unless you have seen re-occurring evidence of the child achieving that, it doesn't mean the child isn't capable of them. So what I am getting at is if you are giving them to parents, explain to them that the child may be capable of those things but you haven't been able to evidence it/ haven't observed the child carrying it out. With regard to teachers looking at them, if a parent brings one in from another setting I always make sure I read it thoroughly, and although I wouldn't alter my records from that information it can give me quite a bit of helpful info about that child.

4. We sent ours home with a brief end of year 'overview' report (PSE focus and 3 'next steps' comments) We asked for them back again as my year one colleague will continue to add to them until Oct half term. This foms part of our R-Y1 transition and gives value to the huge amount of work that goes into collating them? Some were very full and others not so.......

5. We kept ours for the same reasons as above -we will be continuing to add to the them in September - the parents all recieved a full report on their childs progress and they have had opportunities througout the year to come in and look at learning journeys

6. Ours are a combination of both. They are a book that we stick in observations, pieces of artwork, written work, ICT and photos of children doing things. We don't have a separate file for assessment, we use all the evidence in the book as assessment.
    Parents take it home at the end of the year and love reading them with their children. The children and parents have access to it all year round and can take it home and add things in themselves as well as look at it.