1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Giving a presentation in an interview? Can teachers advise please?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by purpleposterpaint, Jun 30, 2012.

1. Do you have any sort of ICT to go along with your presentation like a P/P? The reason I ask is this may help you with prompts for each particular section. Bullet points? A summary? Or is it you and no props so to speak?
    I suppose in this situation everyone is different, I personally wouldn't write it out word for word as I think I'd be likely to go a tad crazy if I forgot a particular sentence and that would possibly make me lose my entire thread.
    I don't think there is anything wrong with having a quick look at a sheet with a few prompts on - bullet points etc but I just worry that with the entire presentation written down that if you do lose your thread you might spend a long time skimming through the sheer about of info you'll have written down thus losing time and fluency?
    Good luck though, fingers crossed.
    PPP x

2. Ah so sorry! I missed the part where you clearly mentioned the P/P slides! Again nothing wrong with having a look at your notes but I would be tempted to see if there is anyway you can do without.
    PPP

3. I know it'll look bad but I'm going to bring the whole thing written out (A4) and look at it if/when I need to and attempt to learn it, because that's worked better for me in the past. It's so wordy though, that's why I'm struggling a bit to learn it so maybe learning the key points for each section would help me first. I know small cards would probably look better, but it's a comfort to have the whole thing written out. Surely it's not a memory test? I obviously wrote it myself in the first place, but it's a lot to remember off the top of your head and deliver in a coherent and effective way. I wish I could just read it all from the paper and look up occasionally to glance at the teachers, but I've seen people do this before and it made them look bad/unprepared. I've never had to deliver a presentation before for an interview. It's a whole day thing and a lot of extra stress. Maybe I'm blowing it all out of proportion because I want a job so badly.

4. You're right for not wanting to read it off the paper, it's a presentation so you must present it and reading off the paper may make it look as though you were handed it as you walked in the door rather than spent a long time writing and learning it yourself!
    I think you do right, take something as a back up as you might not even need to look! But if you say yourself it's too wordy then definitely look at key points that it is imperative you make and thus write these down. I don't think it is a memory test but if you have a P/P to refer to then I'm sure you'll remember what your relevent point is. You seem confident about what you're presenting about, have obviously a lot to say on the topic so breathe and and let this confidence shine through!
    PPP. x

5. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Replied on the Jobseekers thread.

6. I have done a few presentations recently in interviews and I got the job in one of them too! [​IMG]
    I think you should learn your speech almost off by heart with some room for improvisation if necessary. The only prompt I used was my powerpoint slides that were displayed on the interactive board for all to see. Each slide consisted of a few bullet points that were limited to short, simple statements consisting of just a few words and pictures that supported the points I was trying to make. If it helps to have a print out in front of you as a prompt then by all means take one with you - I don't think it will count against you but I would avoid reading off the sheet throughout your presentation as you need to keep your audience engaged through your body language, eye contact, etc.
    I'm sure you will be fine. Try not to overthink things or second guess yourself. Good luck! [​IMG]

7. Not quite the same but I recently presented my research project for my PGCE and was worried about the same thing. I didn't want to have the whole thing written out as I knew I would spend too long looking for where I was if I lost my way.
    In the end I wrote bullet points on cards and then practiced it a lot. When it came to the presentation I knew it so l well that I didn't need the cards at all, which was probably just as well because if I had used them some of the time I would probably have lost my way with the order they were in and ended up searching through them to find where I was.
    I used my powerpoint to follow and got very positive feedback afterwards from my audience who were impressed that I knew my presentation so well! Just needed a lot of practice.