1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Given notice and now worried

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by angel1972, Jul 15, 2019.

1. angel1972

angel1972 New commenter

I have worked in a independent school for 10 years. I have a great relationship with the owners and a mixed relationship with the now acting head. After lots of thought I decided that next academic year will be my last at that school. I decided to verbally and then via email tell the owners of the school. They were actually really sad and disappointed. I clarified in my email that it felt right to give advanced notice as I’d known them so long and that I would formally hand in my notice at the due time (next Easter). Today one of them said that they would have to begin advertising my job after Christmas. I’m now so worried I’ve told them I’m leaving at the end of the next academic year. I’m worried that they find another teacher during the spring term and give me notice. Can they do this? I’ve been naive and trusting. Hopefully I’m worried over nothing. Many thanks x

2. ridleyrumpus

ridleyrumpus Lead commenter

Not really, you have given notice that you are leaving at the end of the next academic year.

If they want you to leave before then then they would have to break your contract, I cannot see them doing that.

3. angel1972

angel1972 New commenter

Okay, thanks. I just wondered if they could decide to give me notice in the spring term? But I won’t be officially handing my notice in until the week before we break up for the Easter holiday next year.

4. angel1972

angel1972 New commenter

I just wondered if they could give me notice in the spring term? Without any good reason after 10 years of working there.

5. starlightexpress

starlightexpress Occasional commenter

They’ll just be ensuring that they get a good replacement. To clarify, your email was clear you’re resigning at April for year end and not planning to leave in April?

strawbs and border_walker like this.
  6. blue451

blue451 Established commenter

If they advertise after Christmas then whoever they appoint will likely be too late to resign at Easter anyway. Advertising after Christmas for a Septermber start seems perfectly reasonable to.me and I can't see why you're surprised or worried.

Why on dearth would they want to give you notice before the end of the school year?

7. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

Never mind them.
    That's a huge notice period you've granted them.
    I'd be more concerned about changing my own mind or feeling regretful.

pepper5, bajan and (deleted member) like this.
  8. CWadd

CWadd Star commenter

Might have been better to wait until after the Summer was over? You could have informed them in the Autumn and given them time to find someone else.

pepper5 likes this.
  9. Bedlam3

Bedlam3 Lead commenter

Are you leaving because of the acting head?

10. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

You have already given them notice in writing via email. You have given them a year's notice and so they will start advertising as soon as they can to secure an excellent teacher for Sept 2020.
    Of course they will start advertising after Christmas, at the latest. If they wait until after Easter, it would be far too late for the school to appoint for September, given all other independents also have a term's notice.
    They, presumably, have to give you a term's notice, so even if they did find someone in February, you would be safe until August.

To be honest, telling your school you are definitely leaving and they need someone else, but that you will prevent them advertising to find someone by not formally handing in your notice until the very last minute, doesn't look good for you.

11. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

If they were to ask you to leave earlier, then that would almost certainly be unfair dismissal. However, I think this unlikely, for the reason that @caterpillartobutterfly mentions. Also, most schools prefer people to leave at the end of an academic year to ensure continuity over the year, so they would be mad to try to get rid of you early.

What is your notice period anyway? If it is a whole term, then I would have thought that either side giving notice any time in the spring term would be for the end of August. Check your contract. I do think it would be better to give in your notice earlier in the spring term.

JohnJCazorla and grumpydogwoman like this.
  12. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

https://www.gov.uk/dismissal/reasons-you-can-be-dismissed

They can't just dismiss you! Not if you're in the UK.

Unless your contract states that they have the right to ask you to leave with no reason given. Unlikely. Especially as they have said they'll advertise after Christmas.

However! They could attract such a fabulous candidate (who happens to be available after Easter) that they decide they would like her/him to begin in the summer term. Yes, that might happen. But then they would have to make it worth your while to leave. That would be quite expensive.

Look, they'll be paying you until 31.08.2020. So relax.

JohnJCazorla and Piranha like this.
  13. frustum

frustum Star commenter

Independent schools often advertise after Christmas for September starts - those already in an independent may have to give notice by Easter, so everything moves a bit earlier than in state schools, and if they want an NQT, they'll get the pick of the crop - the ones who are already doing well enough to be confident of a glowing reference from their first placement.

Why would they want to make the changeover midyear?

Anyway, it sounds as if you said to them that this was a heads-up and that you will hand in your formal resignation by next Easter. I think their response is just that they would like to start advertising after Christmas, and so if you've definitely decided, it would help to have the formal resignation for then. A heads-up that you're planning to resign is not really enough for them to start advertising - you might change your mind. If you're on a term's notice, as is common in the private sector, and you're worried, hand it in the first day back after Christmas

grumpydogwoman and Piranha like this.
  14. scienceteachasghost

scienceteachasghost Lead commenter

I would not announce my departure until nearer the time in case I changed my mind

grumpydogwoman likes this.
  15. Oldfashioned

Oldfashioned Senior commenter

I think you were naive in giving so much notice. As @scienceteachasghost said you may change your mind.