1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Given how common conversational profanity is by generation Z, should it be allowed in school?

Discussion in 'Senior Leadership Team' started by charlielewis924, Dec 30, 2019.

1. charlielewis924

charlielewis924 New commenter

I personally believe that not only is profanity impossible to stop in schools because so many people in Gen Z do swear conversationally but also banning people purely from swearing does violate freedom of speech, which is vital for any democracy. Also we should respect the different culture and attitudes of the young generations and maybe have a compromise - allow profanity between teenagers conversationally in recess time at least. Thoughts?

2. elder_cat

elder_cat Established commenter

Attempting to stop it may appear to be a bit of a fool's errand, and bad language may be the norm for some students depending on their situation at home. There' not much you can do about that. But simply ignoring is effectively giving it the seal of approval as something that's deemed acceptable in society as a whole. The issue is not whether they consider it acceptable or even normal to swear in conversation, but whether such behaviour is deemed to be acceptable within the school environment. They will have to enter the workplace on leaving school, and I am sure that there are managers/co-workers who would not enjoy being subjected to a constant barrage of offensive language.

IMO, freedom of speech is about the right of an individual to be able to voice their own opinions and beliefs without fear .... but only if done in a manner that shows due consideration for the rights of others. I do not believe "freedom of speech " confers the right on anyone to "say what they want, when they want, how they want", with scant regard for those around them. That 's not free speech - that's simply not giving two hoots for the feelings of others.

If we are expected to respect the different culture and attitudes of the young generations, then by the same token, it's not unreasonable to expect the students to respect the culture and attitudes of older generations.

Personally, I think allowing profane language during recess time is sending a mixed message with regard to its' acceptability. I don't think the issue is a simple matter of when and where they do it. I don't doubt they will do it between themselves, with or without the approval of the school. But they need to accept that there are times and places when it is neither expected not condoned.

3. pi r squared

pi r squared Occasional commenter

I can't tell if this is a spam/troll account or not but on the off-chance that it isn't, I think that just allowing kids to swear left-and-right is just waving the white flag and doesn't benefit anyone. There are some environments we can use whatever language we like and there are some where we need to use appropriate language, and school has to remain one of them.

That said, it doesn't need to be handled with a punitive measure in all cases. If I overhear a kid swearing in conversation with their peers at break or lunch time, I'll ask them to mind their language (and usually get an apology) but no further consequence. In lesson time is different for obvious reasons.

Ultimately, my line is: most of us swear outside of the classroom, but I do not swear in front of them and therefore I do not expect them to swear in front of me.

4. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

Learning to use the appropriate register in your speech is a basic language skill. I'm with @pi r squared.

durgamata likes this.
  5. shaia

shaia New commenter

I agree with pi r squared above, it depends on the context, but definitely not in the classroom. if it is clearly banter then a friendly warning generally suffices