1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Given full pay and asked not to work rest of notice period.

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by scats, Jun 8, 2011.

1. Hi all,
    I have been off ill with depression for a few months now caused by an underlying physical medical condition. However, my medical condiiton is now being treated and I am feeling better andI have manged to get a new job starting in September. I was due to go back to my current job this week but on my first day back I had a meeting with the Head who has given me 'garden leave' - in other words they are paying me full pay but asking me not to work the rest of my notice period.
    I just feel like i'm not good enough and that i've failed them and that's why they have let me go. It makes sense that they have done this as it wouldn't make much sense to go back for such a short space of time but part of me feels really rejected. I feel that being ill has really let them down and that they hate me now.
    I feel sad because I have been pushed out the back door without the chance to say goodbye to my students or colleagues. Almost like I was a mistake that needed to be swept under the rug.
    I'm not sure why i'm writing this other than to get my worries out there. Please don't reply with anything nasty as I can't cope with it right now!
    Thanks for letting me moan! [​IMG]

2. I hear you as I'm still on a phased return from being off sick for 3 months with health issues caused by work related stress (don't want to go into further details on here). However,I'd look onthe positive side (when you feel you can. I know it's hard at times, as I still have this problem from time to time):
    1. You don't have to spend every day twiddling your thumbs because you can't do anything because you're leaving.
    2. No-one is pressuring you to do things that you missed when you were sick (e.g. reports).
    3. You can take time out to do all the stuff you want to do without feeling guilty (when I was on sick leave, I felt guilty when going out in case I saw anyone from work and was questioned or labelled a fraud for being off sick-in fact, I was very ill and din't realise it and needed to go out in order to feel better).
    4. You can avoid people who make you feel worse.
    5. You can take time to make yourself feel physically and as 'mentally' fit for the new job and get all the ppa done for it early without being pestered for demands from your current employers. Also, you won't feel the way you do forever!
    6. It's a reflection on your employer not you! The reason why they've put you on gardening leave is because they don't want to risk you being off sick again as it would cost them money. It feels personal but it isn't (I have to keep reminding myself of this too when I'm having a bad day).
    Hope this helps and moan away, that's what we're all here for!
    Hope this helps and lots of luck!
    You can PM me or post in this thread again if you want to talk some more if you like!