1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

give up perm job to go on supply

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by gunsnroses, Mar 23, 2010.

1. I'm in an a perm post, off with stress due to bullying by HT, I'm really considering leaving to go on supply. Am I mad to consider this?

2. No, it's the best job in the world imho, all the nice bits of teaching without the carp bits. The only downside is the 'not having a class' so the not being all proud of how the darlings have grown over the past month/year/whatever, and the lack of pressies at Easter/Christmas etc.
    But it rocks harder than granite.

3. I'm in exactly the same position as you are with your HT and I'm leaving my perm job next week to do supply :)
    If it feels right do i.t.. I know it's right in my case becuase I haven't stopped smiling since putting my notice in!

4. Supply, for many areas does not exist anymore. It depends on the area. The pay is not good, and you will not get your pension paid. You will not get paid for holidays or sickness. Some schools will treat you ok, but many I have found will not. Many times you will arrive and there is no work set. Many schools and teachers do not like it when you use the school behaviour rules, as this gives them extra work. If the school supports you then the classes can be controlled and teaching can take place. If the school does not support you it can be hell. In many cases the school wants to pay you as supply but wants you to do the same work as a full time teacher. If the school or LEA employ you and the school supports you then it can be great.

5. No, if your HT is bullying you, then leaving is a good plan whether to do supply or for another job. If you are off with stress then you need to leave that school - I've been there, left the school and never looked back!

6. Yes yes yes!!!!
    Supply is the best thing I have ever done!!! I tell you my last full time experiance was so bad I went off with stress something I didn't think I would ever do. I felt disgusted with the situation and was ready to give it all up. But then I realised that after all the years I had trained and spent teaching I shouldn't just give it up becuase of 1 bad experiance. I had completed my NQT and that was the main thing. I am so much happier doing supply. I work when I want and don't have to worry about the key stage 2 assembly, the class assembly, reports, targets etc..... I may go back into full time one day but for now this is the best thing I could have done.
    Get rid of the things that cloud over the heart of teaching and you will feel better, teach with more energy and enjoy your job again. xxxx
    Good luck xx

7. I’m so sorry to hear you have been a victim of bullying. I know how painful it can be. Being bullied is unacceptable. You have so many options. I hope you’re well enough to consider all your options before you decide.
    I have been teaching for 15 years and still love supply work. Unfortunately the job no longer exists. During the week of the volcano, teachers would have been off sick and on courses but due to the volcano hundreds of teachers were also stuck abroad. There should have been plenty of supply work. I work in two authorities with a total of 400 supply teachers. During that whole week one authority had half a day and the other had a day and a half available for 400 supply teachers. The vast majority of schools are using agencies. I cannot bring myself to pay them for the privilege of paying me less than half what I’m worth. I am having to sell my house and leave teaching. I am heartbroken as I really love my job. I am fortunate enough to have found a job that makes my heart sing but it no longer exists. I’m not afraid to start a new career I’m just heartbroken to be pushed out of one that I love so much.

8. If I was you, I would stay off with stress for as long as you need to. When you start to feel better get in touch with your union. If it is ATL, then my condolences, this could be an uphill struggle to get them to understand. Also contact your local councils occupational health and see what kind of support they could offer. If you feel bullying by your HT is personal rather than because of your professionalism, then you either have to stand up to them with evidence of what they are doing, or get out quick if the evidence you have seems flimsy, particularly if it is on a personal level, because if this is the case then nothing you do at work will be right. If you are a good teacher, then there will be lots of supply out there for you. If you know someone else in a school get them to put a good word in for you and once you are known you will be okay. It may be less money than what you are use to, but so is the stress! Best of luck!!

9. I have been doing supply for two years and haven't been out of work. I am on the same payscale as a permanent member of staff. I pay into my pension and I accrue holiday pay. Staff and schools have alway been helpful and friendly- think they are usually just so grateful to be sent someone so they don't have to provide the cover themselves!

10. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

you ae very fortunate kazard as most supply isnt like that.....most of us are day to day , never really knowing if we are going to get work or noy
    In answer to the OP supply is good as it takes you to different schools and out of the range of most heads......but it is generally uncartain and not always regular.you must be prepared to lose out on salary and you wont be paying into a pension unles syou opt i on your own!

11. Supply is uncertain but if you have a permanent post where your head wants you out supply provides an escape and a chance to save your health.
    Supply can lead to contracted posts, even permanent ones.

12. Wow! I have just come across this forum that I commented on two years ago! I never knew that someone had commented back! So two years later, here's my reply lol...

I am one of those supply teachers and was when I messaged that! I also work day to day never really knowing if I am going to get work or not.

First three years I think I was okay...last year I had 7 days work between August and January. That was a hard time in my life...this year I've had more work come my way but of course the pay has went down for the jobs that I do that are less than five days. It is a hard life.

But I stand by what I said! Schools I've worked in have always been nice and grateful for my appearance!

13. hammie

hammie Lead commenter

agreed, and if you get regular work in the same school you will quickly build relationships with pupils. And the advantage is that you see all of them, so in my second year of supply I know more pupils across my main school than any other member of staff! I get to see them develop more than most as i see them in year 3, then yr 4 and so on.
    but the money issue is a big problem, make some plans for other sources of income. Plan next years holiday for September and find work for the summer!

14. Moony

Moony Lead commenter

Lewisian Gneiss or Garnet Mica Schist?

15. Before you make the leap into supply, consider your options really carefully. Some people have managed to get supply but the majority of supply teachers are struggling, not only with financial difficulties but also getting another job. Is there really no other option? I personally think you should fight your corner, keep a detailed diary or everything regardless of relevance, but make sure it is factual. There are alot of **** teachers who stay in their positions while one teacher is continuously harassed. It may be an arduous and difficult journey, but it'll just be as difficult for the head as well. Don't make it easy for them! You have a right to work and not be pushed out!