1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Give me some hope....

Discussion in 'Primary' started by ff392, Feb 18, 2011.

1. Have only taught in KS1 ( 4 years now ) and want to teach in the juniors but my school are reluctlant to let me have KS2 experience.
    Now wondering whether to think about applying to another school but have had Heads say cos no KS2 experience won't get past the shortlisting?
    Can anyone offer me personal experiences of this not being so???
    Freya

2. Have only taught in KS1 ( 4 years now ) and want to teach in the juniors but my school are reluctlant to let me have KS2 experience.
    Now wondering whether to think about applying to another school but have had Heads say cos no KS2 experience won't get past the shortlisting?
    Can anyone offer me personal experiences of this not being so???
    Freya

3. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I would say that you have a better chance in your own school than a new one, sorry.

Can you not start running some after school or lunchtime clubs for KS2? Or setting up some paired work with a KS2 class, so you get to show how fab you are with the older children and then make your request later?

I'm trying to do the opposite move and so have run a science club for R/Y1/Y2 children, have done some paired literacy with year 2, some behaviour support, also with year 2 and some voluntary supply cover in my PPA with year 1 and 2.

It is beginning to have an effect...I'm sort of hopeful for next year.

4. greta444

greta444 New commenter

Make sure you do a fantastic job in KS1. I did, and was then put into a failing KS2 class!!!
    Enjoying it though

5. Have you directly asked if you can move into KS2?
    If so what reason was given for the school saying no?

6. Have asked and school feel the KS2 team is established and hard to move someone who has just KS1 expierience into KS2...

7. Apply for year 3 positions. I was moved unwillingly from Reception to year 3, having worked in year 1 and 2 classes ni different schools. Emphasis your ability to ensure a smooth transition into KS2 with all your KS1 expereience. My class are much more settled now as i treated them like KS1 children at the start of the year whereas the other year 3 teacher had always taught in UKS2 and expected them to be more grown up than they were capable of and had a really uncomfortable time. sounds like you current head isn't going to move you, unlike mine who moves everyone nearly every year!

8. Oops as "I" treated i really should check before I click.