1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Give it a rest, Hodge, you're an embarrassment

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Vince_Ulam, Aug 17, 2018.

1. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

An abuse of the example, it is shameful of Hodge to weaponise the Nazi persecution of the Jews.

Dame Margaret Hodge likens Labour disciplinary investigation to Nazi Germany

'Speaking to Sky News, the MP for Barking said: “On the day that I heard that they were going to discipline me and possibly suspend me, it felt almost like, I kept thinking what did it feel like to be a Jew in Germany in the Thirties?

“Because it felt almost as if they were coming for me. It’s rather difficult to define, but there’s that fear, and it reminded me of what my Dad used to say. My Dad came out of Germany, so he had to leave Germany, he went to Egypt.”

She added: “When I heard about the disciplinary action, my emotional response resonated with that feeling of fear that clearly was at the heart of what my father felt when he came to Britain.”
    '
    ITV.com, 16th August 2018.

This woman is a disgrace and has no place in the Labour Party.

vinnie24 and slingshotsally like this.
  2. red_observer

red_observer Star commenter

Totally agree. Don’t mind her being in the Party but if she’s going to stay then shut up for gawks sake.

slingshotsally likes this.
  3. artboyusa

artboyusa Lead commenter

History will remember our era as the Time When Every Single **** ing Thing That Happened Was Like Hitler.
    Or The Age of Adolf for short.

sparkleghirl, Vince_Ulam and nomad like this.
  4. sparkleghirl

sparkleghirl Star commenter

She's lost the plot or is being badly advised (possibly the latter, blairites within the party using her as a tool to get at Corbyn).

I don't think for a minute that Hodge genuinely believes Corbyn is a racist and the constant attacks on him are beginning look foolish - but then to come out and compare her own "fear" with that of her father not only makes her look stupid, self centred and insensitive, it also shows a huge lack of respect for those persecuted by the Nazis.

If anyone else in a far more fearful situation that this eejit finds herself in had the gall to compare their fear with that of Nazi victims, there'd be howls of protest and no doubt from Hodge herself.

5. notrevlim

notrevlim Established commenter

It's apparently wrong to compare actions of the Israelis with comparable acts by the Nazis, but quite acceptable to compare the Labour Party to the Nazis and Corbyn to Hitler.

I can't help wondering how comfortable she will feel when Johnson and Farage are running things. Sadly, she'd probably be happy.

slingshotsally and Vince_Ulam like this.
  6. Vince_Ulam

Even Hodge's apparent allies do not like her that much. This from the current editor of the Jewish Chronicle:

Margaret Hodge’s foul hypocrisy just beggars belief says STEPHEN POLLARD

'Mrs Hodge is not the first and will not be last politician to say one thing and do another. But the sheer grubbiness of her brand of hypocrisy leaves a stench that makes others look almost admirable.'
    Express.co.uk, 1st May 2015.

7. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

8. sparkleghirl

sparkleghirl Star commenter

Oh, thank you for that. I now found #HodgeComparisons

Warning - it's a mix of ridiculous comparisons and complaints about these from Hodge supporters / Corbyn haters / 'anti-antisemites' so is guaranteed to offend everyone.

9. Caoimhseach

Caoimhseach Lead commenter

Inappropriate comparison The Oppenheimers lived and worked in Egypt from the mid 1930s to late 1940s

10. Vince_Ulam

When this Corbyn-critic thinks you've gone too far it is time to shut up:

upload_2018-8-18_8-44-3.png

vannie, notrevlim, eljefeb90 and 3 others like this.
  11. red_observer

red_observer Star commenter

Indeed.

12. Vince_Ulam

For those who missed this interview:

In not going forward with this disciplinary process Labour likely felt that they were buying Hodge's good behaviour but, as anyone who has read Aesop knows, a scorpion cannot be trusted to behave itself.

13. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

Did we know that Hodge's daughter is Deputy Editor of BBC News?

Do we think that might have a bearing on how this has been reported?

Vince_Ulam likes this.
  14. Vince_Ulam

This makes sense. She seems quite powerful:

Lizzi Watson moves to BBC News at six and ten

'BBC’s Lizzi Watson is now Deputy Editor for BBC News at six and ten. She was previously Head of News, BBC Asian Network and Executive Producer, BBC Newsnight. She tweets @islingtonlizzi.'
    ResponceSource.com, 13th February 2018.

15. Brunel

Brunel Established commenter

She must be very powerful if her influence extends to Sky News.

16. Vince_Ulam

Entirely possible. Westminster and the journos who report it have an incestuous relationship. For example, Sky News' current Editor-at-large Adam Boulton affaired with & married the most powerful un-elected person in Downing Street during Tony Blair's terms, Anji Hunter.

17. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

It's a me me me milking moment. She's been encouraged by her 15 minutes worth.

monicabilongame likes this.
  18. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Source please.

19. Vince_Ulam

20. nomad

nomad Star commenter