1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

GIST

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by Lilyofthefield, May 13, 2010.

1. I am a jelly that has set.
    Spoke to very nice man today, explained my reservations, told him I don't really want the decision tossed back to me because I don't know what's for the best, and whether I fancied the op or not, would do as the top professional thought most prudent.
    He said he is as absolutely certain it is an ectopic pancreas as he can be without taking it out. He said that still doesn't rule out the other thing but it is still so small that in two years even if it has grown, it won't have spread anywhere. If after two years it hasn't grown at all then it is even more likely to be the EP than the GIST. Therefore, if he were advising his mother, sister or daughter, he would leave it alone since it isn't causing me any problems so better to let sleeping dogs lie, and have another look in two years.
    He will contact me personally in two years and do I mind if medical students are present for the endoscopy because they hardly ever see an EP.
    Can you hear this? Pop! Gloopgloopgloopgloopgloop!
    I said all's well that ends well. My husband is uncharacteristically ratty since he feels he (HE!) has been put through the mill!

2. So long as he means it then that is what you need to hear.
    My son had a very similar conversation with his consultant prior to his surgery and trusted the consultant's judgement. It's all very well to leave decision making to the patient but the patient has nothing to measure the decision against.
    A glass of wine is in order, don't you think?

3. ....though 2 years is a long time. ....and, what if he forgets? ...and if it does become troublesome do you know what symptoms should be taken seriously?

4. If it turns out to be a hideously aggressive GIST - and at this size it's unlikely - then in two years it will have grown quite a lot and I'll be back to half a stomach out and chemo. But he convinced me this was very unlikely.
    Because it's so close to the pyloric sphincter, whatever it is, if it grows much it'll block the exit and I will feel unreasonably full after eating and throw up a lot, so plenty of warning.
    I wish I had seen him five months ago. My Fromage only contacted him because he couldn't decide himself. Which I think is a good thing.
    My brother had to have a full BUPA medical before he got this job and he said knowing that there are so many things that aren't quite right courtesy of blood tests and investigations - and must therefore be investigated - b*ggers up your peace of mind to no real benefit. Am inclined agree.
    And the pain I went to the GP with originally is still there!

5. giraffe

giraffe New commenter

Oh, what he has been through.

(that's sarcasm, by the way)

6. was there a husband put together otherwise?
    wrt seren's sugestion of a glass of wine - a bottle of whisky would not be amiss
    here's to the head honcho being 100% right [​IMG]