1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

girls v boys

Discussion in 'Special educational needs' started by Mrs_Frog, May 18, 2012.

1. Mrs_Frog

Mrs_Frog New commenter

This post is in both SEN and behaviour….
    I am in a secondary PRU and to be fair, the behaviour is fine. However, I am more experienced at working with boys than girls. (Previous school was a secondary boys EBD school)
    There is currently one girl in the year groups that I deal with, and I am finding managing her behaviour/attitude/language etc quite challenging. She has had a very troubled past, and I appreciate that, but in my mind it is a reason, not an excuse for her behaviour.
    She is very masculine in many ways, behaviourally speaking. Her foul, violent, sexual language is more what I would hear from the boys than her. I have tried treating her in a similar manner to the boys who present similar behaviour, but this is having very little impact, and I am getting frustrated with myself for not being able to ‘get a hold’ on what makes her tick, and what she will respond positively to.
    I know I need to change the way in which I treat her when her behaviour is unacceptable, but to be honest, I don’t know how to treat girls! Especially EBD girls!
    Give me a naughty boys about to square up to me and throw a chair at me, I’m fine, give me a naughty girl who is ****** and jeffing etc and I am at a loss!
    Any ideas please!?!?!?!
    B x

2. Mrs_Frog

Mrs_Frog New commenter

This post is in both SEN and behaviour….
    I am in a secondary PRU and to be fair, the behaviour is fine. However, I am more experienced at working with boys than girls. (Previous school was a secondary boys EBD school)
    There is currently one girl in the year groups that I deal with, and I am finding managing her behaviour/attitude/language etc quite challenging. She has had a very troubled past, and I appreciate that, but in my mind it is a reason, not an excuse for her behaviour.
    She is very masculine in many ways, behaviourally speaking. Her foul, violent, sexual language is more what I would hear from the boys than her. I have tried treating her in a similar manner to the boys who present similar behaviour, but this is having very little impact, and I am getting frustrated with myself for not being able to ‘get a hold’ on what makes her tick, and what she will respond positively to.
    I know I need to change the way in which I treat her when her behaviour is unacceptable, but to be honest, I don’t know how to treat girls! Especially EBD girls!
    Give me a naughty boys about to square up to me and throw a chair at me, I’m fine, give me a naughty girl who is ****** and jeffing etc and I am at a loss!
    Any ideas please!?!?!?!
    B x