1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Girls 'informally excluded at higher rate than boys' from English schools

Discussion in 'Education news' started by aypi, Jul 21, 2020.

1. aypi

aypi Senior commenter

alex_teccy and nomad like this.
  2. neddyfonk

neddyfonk Lead commenter

This is about truants, not exclusions. There is no such thing as an informal exclusion !. By definition an exclusion is a decision made by staff/governors to keep a pupil away from school.

WB, alex_teccy and nomad like this.
  3. install

install Star commenter

It’s a bit of a dud anyway. The research only covers 2 areas.

4. alex_teccy

alex_teccy Star commenter

Perhaps it’s a problem with the terminology. “Exclusion” is a weasel-word introduced in order to avoid the perjorative connotations of the word “Expelled”.
    So it’s possible to imagine a situation where students are “informally excluded” but impossible to imagine one where they are “informally expelled”.

5. Bobbbs

Bobbbs Occasional commenter

Utter nonsense. Boys are excluded far more, but that can't possibly be the headline. Have to make a conspiracy about "informal exclusions".

Reality is that girls tend to just stop coming, whereas boys lose the plot and get excluded. It's much harder to deal with the former, as the attendance officer's workload goes through the roof.

alex_teccy likes this.
  6. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

I didn't read the article as being about self exclusion. I read it as"why don't you do the rest of your GCSE prep from home?"

7. SparkMaths

SparkMaths Occasional commenter

I had that happen to one of my students a few years ago, he was very disruptive but we were making some slow progress towards him doing better, I had nothing to do with the decision.

So he vanished in Janurary for "early study leave" and reappeared for a weekend revision session just before the Maths exam. He had forgotten everything so I doubt that he passed, I was supply so moved on to another school.

alex_teccy likes this.
  8. alex_teccy

alex_teccy Star commenter

Yeah I wish I could double like this post.

The progressive narrative cannot handle the existence of inequalities outside of a paradigm where boys are doing worse.

9. BillyBobJoe

BillyBobJoe Lead commenter

I've certainly seen it happen, but the student in question was male in that instance.