1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Girls are the minority in the classroom, so they don't get much respect!

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by soniamsrichards, Oct 17, 2017.

1. In a classroom of 25 where there may only be 5 girls typically, what are some fantastic ways to enable them to be as confident, assertive and expressive as they would be if they were working in a girls only group?

Any ideas or academic readings would be incredibly useful!

2. meggyd

meggyd Occasional commenter

Everybody must be prepared to work with anybody is the first rule. I have organised my classes in various ways. I have designated partners for pair work based on ability. I have different groups for speaking . I am Mfl. I post these groups on the notice board and they are non negotiable. Also try names on lollysticks when doing questions and answers to stop people shouting out. Use rotas and lists to show you want to give equal time to everyone in a fair and business like way which has nothing to do with gender.

3. muso2

muso2 Occasional commenter Community helper

I don't have any academic articles, but I've had this a few times, and have generally found the girls are happier if allowed to sit together, maybe in a two and a three, rather than split up boy-girl. Lots of small group activities and times when you can circulate and boost their confidence, as opposed to majority whole-class where they'd have to speak out in front of everybody. This is good for less confident boys too.

meggyd likes this.
  4. Bobbbs

Bobbbs New commenter

What do you mean not much respect?

5. saluki

saluki Established commenter

Make any boys who are disrespectful apologise.
    Otherwise, the girls will probably prefer to sit together. Let them- unless they are silly giggly girls who don't work.

6. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

Why don't they get respect? It's a non-negotiable for me - in my all pupils treat each other and me with basic good manners. If you want to encourage the girls' confidence, make sure you give them opportunities to contribute and the space to do so without being shot down.