1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

"Girls are skipping school to avoid sharing gender neutral toilets with boys" - article.

Discussion in 'Education news' started by FrankWolley, Oct 6, 2019.

1. catherinedavid

catherinedavid New commenter

That doesn't mean we have to have gender neutral toilets though does it?!?!

BetterNow likes this.
  2. catherinedavid

The DM is full of transphobic junk?!? Really? I cannot say I have spotted any and I read it daily......!

3. catherinedavid

That is exactly what I would like to know: who funds this rubbish?!?

4. catherinedavid

Common sense prevailed!!!

Alice K likes this.
  5. catherinedavid

There is no need to talk like that! All we want is to have our own toilets that shows respect and dignity to the different sexes. It is as simple as that!

Alice K likes this.
  6. catherinedavid

It is hindering the matter!

7. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Lead commenter

So do you think disabled toilets should be gendered?

8. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

In my experience toilets for the disabled (e.g. ones with wheelchair access etc) are normally single, so the outside door can be locked and the sink is in the same space as the toilet. The problem many girls feel with 'unisex' toilets is that the area outside the stalls (which may or may not have 'full' floor to ceiling doors) is that the space outside, where hand basins are, is 'shared'.

If all toilets were like those for the disabled, single with lockable outside doors, there wouldn't be a problem. But it would be very expensive, I suspect, to provide this. Cheaper to have separate toilets for boys and girls.

9. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Lead commenter

They don't have to be though. We have both single-sex toilets and in a newer building unisex toilets. Each of these is its own room, with lockable door, toilet and sink/mirror. Cost of putting these in was no different than having a shared sink area but actually takes up less space overall.

10. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

The key word there may be 'newer'. Many school buildings aren't.

But have you actually monitored use of the unisex toilets by both male & female pupils, and conducted customer surveys to see if (say) girls like them as much as the single sex ones?

11. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Lead commenter

No surveys, however, they many students of both sexes will choose to go to these rather than single-sex. They stay a lot cleaner than the single sex ones (especially boys).

12. alex_teccy

alex_teccy Established commenter

What happens when the boys wee everywhere. Mens and boys toilets are considerably more disgusting than girls. They also smash them up more and leave the taps running "for a joke".

13. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Lead commenter

It's been two years and this has not happened yet. When it does I'll let you know.

14. alex_teccy

Okay so you think that in general boys toilets are no worse than girls? Is this borne out by your experience?

15. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Lead commenter

No that isn't what I said.

Single sex male toilets are usually much worse than female. From my experience so far, unisex toilets do not get into the same state as male only toilets. Perhaps this is due to only one person using them at a time so there is no audience to play to? Perhaps someone could do some research into it.

strawbs likes this.
  16. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Star commenter

It's probably because the girls have to do a degree of cleaning up before they use them.

vannie, BetterNow and alex_teccy like this.
  17. alex_teccy

Sure. I just don't see the boys putting the seat down or even taking the trouble to lift them up before they wee all over them :rolleyes:.
    I wonder about the level of risk staff - and children- are exposing themselves to.

18. garyconyers

garyconyers New commenter

We have unisex toilets at my school. Each has 6 fully-enclosd cubicles and a wash area opposite the cubicles. Staff have to use them, too.

It felt weird at first to wash my hands next to any pupil, especially girls, but no one seems bothered by it.

Not sure what all the fuss is about, really.

19. garyconyers

garyconyers New commenter

This is my experience at my school.

20. englishtt06

englishtt06 Occasional commenter

Many, many years ago when backpacking I cleaned for my bed and board in a youth hostel. The women's showers and toilets were always worse than the men's!

In ref. to the main point - like other posters have noted, my previous school had single sex and unisex bathrooms: no issues at all; despite what sensationalist newspapers may prefer otherwise.