1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Girls and Digital Media Production

Discussion in 'Media studies' started by ghgh, May 17, 2017.

?

Do girls appear more confident with media technology when in a single sex class

1. Yes at GCSE

1 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. Yes at A Level

1 vote(s)
    100.0%
  3. Makes no difference

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Mixed gender class is irrelevant as long as they are in an all girl production group

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. ghgh

ghgh New commenter

Hi there, I was just looking for some observations you may have had regarding the attitude and behaviour of girls using editing software, digital cameras etc.., working in a mixed gender class. I am researching this as I have worked in both a girls school and a mixed school and found a different attitude towards technology from the girls school. Any viewpoints would be gratefully received. Thanks Anna

2. Sealhawk

Sealhawk New commenter

I'd be interested to see if your experience tallies up with mine - this year I've been teaching in a mixed gender secondary after spending 4 years at a girls grammar.

The lack of experience with software seems to be pretty universal - aside from the most passionate kids who are probably playing around with film making in their spare time, most don't have a clue about video editing or photo editing software.

I've rarely had any students (female or male) who aren't at least interested to learn how to use the software and often the students (again, both genders) are interested in using the equipment as it is something a bit out of the ordinary. As much as things like Snapchat and Instagram get on my nerves in the school environment, there is probably a case to be made for them helping some students to grasp basic concepts of framing and how to make an image aesthetically pleasing.

I tend to find that the all girl groups will work more successfully if sent off to work on a practical project - there's something about mixing genders in those kind of projects which seems to lead to silliness or a lack of quality work being done in my experience.

Does that help to answer your question? Having moved from single gender back to mixed gender this year I have to say that the difference in environment both in and out of the classroom has been quite 'interesting' to say the least - in short, much more 'lively'...