1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Gingerbread or salt dough?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by minnieminx, Dec 23, 2011.

1. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

If you wanted to make gingerbread houses with year 2 (Hansel and Gretel link) would you bother with the expense of real gingerbread (you'd be buying the bits yourself and don't start an argument about why not because I know!!!) and the bother of risk assessments let alone trying to get the kitchen staff to allow a mere teacher to use the ovens.

Or would you get the children to weigh and make the salt dough (they have done this before) and so make inedible, but possible more long lasting and less hassly houses?

If salt dough houses (which I'm sort of going towards so they can use our classroom rulers to make the pieces and so make them in maths) what would you use to decorate? Pipe cleaners and little pom poms? What else?

All views and ideas welcome (probably) as well as any other things I've not thought of.

Thank you.

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Off the top of my Head and possibly not at all a good idea.
    What about making the 'houses' out of that corrugated cardboard with 'ruler structure support' as you've suggested- so a Maths activity and then use small jelly tots/liquuorice allsorts to decorate etc. and the children can 'eat some of the leftovers'?
    Then iof you wanted a 'cooking activity' possible make some biscuit lollipops or other (cheap ingredients) sweets which don't require use of a cooker?

3. Don't know if this helps - what about making pop up Hansel and Gretel houses uisng all those left over sweet wrappers from Christmas?

4. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Pop up houses? I don't know what they are...will google. Left over sweet wrappers will have to do for next year when I'll tell the class before the holidays to save them.

I thought of salt dough as it is more like 'gingerbread' than cardboard would be. And of course when it goes wrong then can squidge it up and start again. Mine are rubbish at using rulers, which is fine as they are only year 2, so it might make a lot of card waste. But I suppose we could make cardboard ones. (And also I want to show off what I've learned about salt dough...don't make normal sized bread rolls, they won't ever ever dry! Thin walls for houses will be fine.)

5. Msz

Msz Established commenter

You could add powdered ginger to the salt dough so it smells of ginger
    lots of boxes from the supermarket because corrugated card would be more solid

6. Msz

[​IMG] pop up houses...possibly

7. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

That'll do.

Corrugated card is pretty hard to cut isn't it?

I'm thinking, make the dough and cut out the pieces using rulers and plastic knives in maths. If they go wrong they can start again easily. Leave to dry for a few days/weeks. Decorate in art/DT.

Those houses look fab...could make those in DT as well. In fact we are doing habitats just after this topic for a week of science/DT/art and so they could make a whole set for various animals maybe?

8. Well done Msz - they are exactly what I mean. Minnieminx, I have lots of templates and instructions for pop ups - if you send me your email address, I will scan and send to you. I have always taught KS1 and use different pop ups to display the children's work. They love it and mine are independent (yr 1) in making them too.
    Happy Christmas.

9. Msz

I have been to Sainsburys bright and early and walking past the chilled cabinet and obviously influenced by this thread I saw ... wait for it ... ready made gingerbread dough! Now someone please explain why it's in my fridge ...

10. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

It was looking lonely and you couldn't bear it to be alone at Christmas?

11. Msz

I'm afraid not ... it was relaxing happily with it's gingerbread dough family and I cruelly separated them ... at Christmas!

12. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Then get back to sainsburys and buy the rest of them then!!!
    Honestly, I think you should be reported to the GTC!

But ready made dough might work in maths...is it in the all year round section or christmas special?

Thank you so much for this offer, it is really kind. I will definitely do so, probably after Christmas proper. I'm promised OH I had stopped working until after boxing day. (He doesn't know the TES is sort of work!)

13. Msz

It was in with the ready made pastry and cookie dough and is Sainsburys own brand ... and I blame you [​IMG]

14. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Nooooooo you take responsibility for your own actions!

I'd decided on salt dough with powdered ginger...(It says so further up this thread and there is a time on it to PROVE my innocence!)

Maybe I'll make one from real gingerbread (well ready made sainsburys dough obviously!) at home to show the children what to aim for. Then they make their own from salt dough and then eat mine. Or maybe I'll take mine home and eat it myself?

15. rainbowdrop86

rainbowdrop86 New commenter

I no this is an old thread but im about to start hansel and gretel and would like to do something similar. What did u do in the end minnie and how did it go? I was thinking of perhaps just making a class one out of gingerbread.

16. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

The more able had a maths lesson making the salt dough and measuring the various shapes to make the house. Then an awful lot of time trying to get the bits to actually fit together, the salt dough had curled a lot when drying. But all the children loved the challenge of trying to make the house and used a lot of initiative with trying different ways to join the bits. After about 3 weeks of disaster we threw it away!

My fabulous TA made a giant chocolate cake candy cottage and we all scoffed that one playtime!

17. rainbowdrop86

Thanks. I think ill get them to make gingerbread, perhaps making gingerbread hansel and gretels and then we'll make a class gingerbread house, all taking it in turns to help decorate

18. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I think, if I did it again, I'd buy a kit.

IKEA has some cheap ones...could have a group competition?

19. rainbowdrop86

Ooo any excuse for a trip to ikea!!!

20. Msz

Lots of the supermarkets have the kits in for Christmas one of our staff said she'd bought some from Aldi