1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Ginger

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by wigy, Apr 13, 2012.

1. wigy

wigy New commenter

Anyone know of a substitute for ginger?. The reason being an allergy to ginger.
    Thanks

2. Allspice.

3. Si N. Tiffick

Si N. Tiffick Occasional commenter

Galangal? But it's the same family as ginger so may not be any use. I wouldn't say allspice was similar to ginger, though.

4. Nutmeg? Not the same but works well in some dishes.

5. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

What's it for? If it's just for flavouring then any other spice you like will do.

6. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

There's nothing that tastes like ginger, so no real substitute.
    How does eating ginger affect you?If it really is a true allergy then your face will swell up and your throat and breathing mechanism will close down. Very scary and very dangerous. If it's anything less than that (sneezing, itching etc) then it can be overcome and as not a true allergy. I'm only asking because I love ginger and would hate not to be able to eat it so I'd literally force my body into acceptance!

7. wigy

wigy New commenter

Saddlly the partner's tongue swells up. I have not seen it but am told by friend that it is very worrying to see.

'

8. I think it very much depends on what you are cooking, as to what substitute you could take.

9. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

ooh......that sounds very odd. Not sure what you can do about that but maybe just a tiny bit of ginger at a time might help desensitise. Or see if there's some desenstising treatment that can be had.

10. I wouldn't take the chance. I would just avoid using ginger.

11. Please don't try desensitising your partner!!! If they have swelling of the tongue, it could close off their airways and could be potentially fatal. It's called 'angioneurotic odema and is the sort of allergy that requires you to carry an adrenalin pen. Can't think of a substitute for ginger, sorry.