1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Gifts to staff from headteacher?

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by freddiecider, Nov 26, 2016.

1. TeachersTreasureTrove

TeachersTreasureTrove New commenter

Either donate some monies to charity or buy everyone a 'Lucky Dip' lottery ticket.

That one COULD really backfire on you, mind....if someone won, that is...!

2. neddyfonk

neddyfonk Lead commenter

I am a great advocate of 'Random acts of Kindness'. Being driven robotically to deliver gifts on birthdays, anniversaries, Easter and Christmas is a bit sad when you can be spontaneous, see the ideal gift and give it as surprise because you thought they needed or would appreciate it. The principle extends beyond relatives and friends when you see someone struggling to carry shopping, vertically challenged folk who cannot reach the top shelf or poor accountants short by 10p for the ride home on the No.57 bus.
    If you need to feel good about yourself - try it. Carry a packet of mints and offer one to the checkout operator and the queue waiting to be served.

3. sparklepig2002

sparklepig2002 Star commenter

Just a "thank you for all your hard work-it is very much appreciated" email would do wonders for me.You don't need to give your staff presents or cards, but do let them know that they are appreciated.

4. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

I've changed my mind about Christmas cards from head teachers, they are great. Our head went round the whole school delivering cards to all staff on Friday, and as soon as his back was turned every single one was ritually ripped and binned with great gusto. First display of energy I've seen from some of the teachers all term!

5. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Really?
    Every single one?
    From an entire secondary school?
    You followed the head round to see this I assume?

However terrible a head, there are always some staff who think s/he is wonderful and would welcome a card/present.

6. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

every single one in our department, staff were racing each other to get hold of them to rip them up! other TAs say the same for their departments. The school bins are full of them. Never seen any singlething give staff so much pleasure!:)