1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Gifts to staff from headteacher?

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by freddiecider, Nov 26, 2016.

1. freddiecider

freddiecider New commenter

hmmm,,,,,,, the previous head used to buy a gift for every member of staff. Eek- 56 in all if each and everyone is included. They used to buy a bottle for teachers and chocolates for everyone else.

Anyone got any good ideas for gifts that don't work out too pricey?

2. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

A previous Head did that, which we all thought was lovely, until we discovered she had been reimbursed from petty cash!

3. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

An early finish!? An evening meeting cancelled without being rescheduled! Buy everyone breakfast on the last day? A bottle of wine or two for each department in their last meeting of the year? or non alcoholic chocolates/cake/ etc if you have a lot of teetotal staff.

I agree it is silly to buy a gift for every individual, even on such a small staff. it would be very expensive, and likely not appreciated

Anonymity and needabreak like this.
  4. Jesmond12

Jesmond12 Star commenter

A lottery ticket. One each I mean. You wouldn't want them to win the jackpot and then be left with no staff!

needabreak and hhhh like this.
  5. cornflake

cornflake Senior commenter

I don't buy them anything individually.
    Tried to get secret santa going instead.... one year it worked well... but generally people couldn't be bothered to do it again. Which was a shame!

6. Sundaytrekker

Sundaytrekker Star commenter

Christmas cards for everyone if the staff is not too big. Christmas cake in the staff room. A bottle of wine or two for an after school gathering. Definitely not a present each. As CarrieV said, I bet some fund it from places other than their own pockets.

7. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

Christmas cards a definite no from me! Hate the things, boring, pointless meaningless and very damaging to the environment. Christmas email is better, or a donation to a local charity in the name of your staff, you could ask for suggestions. A christmas card from my head would just make me angry

8. Gemini25

Gemini25 New commenter

I once received a bottle of wine from a previous headteacher (not my headteacher now) which I thought was nice.........until I discovered that they had only done this for certain staff and not everybody and it really put me off them. I never trusted them after that and, in time, realised that making a conscious decision to steer clear and not trust them was the best idea I'd had.

9. jago123

jago123 Established commenter

If you want my honest opinion, there is no need to purchase gifts for all of your employees- can understand where you are coming from though and I like your generosity.
    An email to all staff should be sufficient
    'Dear Team,
    I would like to take this opportunity to thank you all for your hard work and commitment to the school this year. I am very grateful for everyone's efforts and I look forward to working with you all in 2017.
    Wishing you and your families a Happy Christmas and a prosperous new year.

Kind Regards.

Headteacher

A nice touch would be to leave some cakes in the staff room too for staff to enjoy- let's face it, teachers are bombarded with gifts at Christmas from pupils, they hardly need any more!
    It would be very costly to do this for all the staff. For example, you are a large secondary school, you have 120 employees. A bottle of wine on average costs £5, that's £600. £600 is a significant amount of money. Save it, put it towards your Christmas shopping or buy yourself a gift.

10. Marshall

Marshall Star commenter

I buy a bottle of good sparkling wine for each teacher and a bottle of wine each for everyone else. Small school 18 staff. I start buying in July and spreading the cost means it's more affordable. I won't stop doing this - it's my way of saying 'thank you'. I also buy tea and coffee and sugar throughout the year - again as a thank you. I did hear someone moan about the coffee (Nescafe normal) and another member of staff tell them off - 'don't be so ungrateful - it's free!' Made my day!!!

sabrinakat and pepper5 like this.
  11. abacus1982

abacus1982 Established commenter

If you buy wine for everyone you'll get criticised for the wrong colour! Can't believe he/she bought me rioja when I only like sauvignon blanc. I'd go for cake in the staff room and a thank you note to the staff for their work.

12. Skychaserhigh

Skychaserhigh New commenter

Presents are for people I love and want to buy for. Not staff. They know I appreciate what they do. I couldn't afford to buy for all of the staff!
    After my first term I 'got a round in' on the last day of term, other than that save your money!

13. Kartoshka

Kartoshka Established commenter

A bottle of wine or two and some nice fruit juice would be better. For those who can't/don't want to drink alcohol, there is nothing less festive than the "present for everyone" that excludes you.

A personal e-mail (or message in a Christmas card) would be better, in my opinion. It doesn't have to be very detailed: just something like "I am very grateful for the effort you put in to make the KS1 Christmas play a success". Takes more time and imagination, but makes everyone feel genuinely and individually appreciated.

14. install

install Star commenter

Would not advise a HT buying gifts for soooo many staff...a personal thankyou on a card ( not generic) would be better...

freddiecider likes this.
  15. dodie102

dodie102 Occasional commenter

16. dodie102

dodie102 Occasional commenter

Sorry - not an expert at quoting another post!

17. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

I'd really like my head to have my class for an hour or two so I can sort the mountain of stuff on my desk before the holidays. A fab present for me and they would enjoy getting out of their office too.

Or they could offer to accompany swimming for the final week, so I don't have to.

Or...

Yes ok they are way too overworked to do the above, so just a smile and a thank you will be fine and dandy.

needabreak likes this.
  18. hhhh

hhhh Star commenter

Still have some of the cards from heads with amusing notes. Cost very little and shows they know you.Nice xmas cards can be kept for years, unlike emails. Ok, you could print them, but would you?

Kartoshka likes this.
  19. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

Best secret Santa I've ever seen was a lottery ticket taped to a can of beer!

20. DeputyDawg11

DeputyDawg11 New commenter

I used to buy my staff something for the staff room. One year it was a nespresso machine, another year a new microwave and the first year a toaster and cheese toastie machine. They all seemed to go down well!