1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Gifts for godparents

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by all_heart, Dec 30, 2011.

1. all_heart

all_heart New commenter

Our Lo is being baptized soon and I'm trying to get organised. I was wondering what people have got godparents (mixture mother/father) that's been worth while. There are lots of ideas on the next like engraved pots, photo frames, mugs etc.. but I want something meaningful but useful. but not something I could've got for a birthday or christmas.
    I'm stuck!

2. chicabonita

chicabonita New commenter

How lovely! The only experience I have in my life of godparents is my OH becoming one, and he received only a card of thanks for that (I suppose a bit like being in my class, you get no sweets, or tangible prizes- you "get to win"!).
    In more helpful terms, I suppose a lot will depend on how much you want to spend, and how many people are being godparents. Keeping it very cheap but priceless, I think something precious would be a handprint on a card expressing how you feel about the person becoming godparent. Personally I would really appreciate that sort of thing- it's heartfelt and can't be reproduced. You could accompany it with a World's Best Godmother mug or something more lighthearted!

3. We didn't get anything for ours! Is that not the done thing? [​IMG]

4. We chose engraved gifts for our daughters godparents. Her godmother got a jewellery box and her godfather got cufflinks. Sorry I can't be any more helpful!

5. Paradoxicalgirly

Paradoxicalgirly New commenter

Bunique - we didn't get any for ours either. Have never known anyone do this before! I certainly never received a gift for being godparent to my godchildren!

6. I didn't get ours anything either. And I didn't get anything when I became godmother for my niece.

7. all_heart

all_heart New commenter

The more I look into it the more it seems presents aren't the norm, maybe the card/handprint idea would work as they won't feel bad that lots have been spent but the thought is still there. Got a few weeks left to think about it.

Happy new year xx