1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Gifted child Year 3 - suggestions, please?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by jenhet, Jan 28, 2011.

1. jenhet

jenhet New commenter

Does anyone have experience of a successful project that they have used with lower KS2 gifted children? The child I'm thinking of has a good vocabulary and level of general knowledge, is exceptionally good at reading and at drawing inferences from text, and could, I'm certain, produce work of a very high quality. I would really appreciate any help on this; many thanks in advance.

2. jenhet

jenhet New commenter

Does anyone have experience of a successful project that they have used with lower KS2 gifted children? The child I'm thinking of has a good vocabulary and level of general knowledge, is exceptionally good at reading and at drawing inferences from text, and could, I'm certain, produce work of a very high quality. I would really appreciate any help on this; many thanks in advance.

3. gergil4

gergil4 New commenter

On which curriculum area? When do you want them to do it? For how long? I'll try and help, but need a little bit more for a more focused reply!

4. jenhet

jenhet New commenter

Sorry, I probably hadn't thought it through well enough. Our G&T programme has come to a complete halt so there aren't any enrichment tasks available currently, and I've been aware for some time that I must get round to doing something for him - my question was sparked by guilt and desperation! He isn't gifted mathematically, but has exceptionally good language skills and all-round general knowledge and ability to remember and comment. He finds class work unappealing - he finds it difficult to focus - but when something sparks his imagination, he can produce outstanding work. What I'm looking for is work that he can do outside school and I wondered whether anyone had had a similar experience, before I start spending hours studying Bloom's taxonomy.

5. SUPER.SUPPLY

SUPER.SUPPLY New commenter

It sounds as though this poor child is getting bored. As said before, what topics are you doing this term? He needs to be set completely different tasks to the rest of the class. This no doubt would be built into your differentiation. Consult the teacher in Yr4 or 5 and ask for their suggestions to see what they are doing, literacy co ordinator even. More independent research sounds good for him when it comes to topic, especially if he is an independent reader which he would be. i've had G and T children who are well behaved and keen to learn. A bit of peer tutoring to the middle achievers wouldn't go amiss for him either. These are just suggestions to show that you are doing something different if questions are asked by his parents. Set completely different homework for him to and he would probably start to feel more different in a positive way.

6. SUPER.SUPPLY

SUPER.SUPPLY New commenter

whoops, i meant set completely different homework for him TOO

7. gergil4

gergil4 New commenter

Ditto what SS says. How about his own history or geography topic? You set several areas he's to cover, and some questions he's to answer and he can spend his time on that. Any chance of him joining a different class for literacy or science?

8. jenhet

jenhet New commenter

All great ideas! Many thanks!

9. lardylegs

lardylegs Occasional commenter

Get him to research an area of your topic which appeals to him, e.g. if you are doing Romans, he might do Roman food, or Gladiators.
    Then he has to prepare a powerpoint presentation for the rest of the class on his chosen topic area. He can work on this while the rest of the class are doing normal work, and/or he can work on it at home. Give him a memory stick so he can carry work between home and school.

10. The more able child will certainly appreciate depth and density [timed enrichment activities] but will thrive on diversity. What this means is that you encourage him to choose a topic of interest e.g nanotechnology and allow him to formulate questions which he can investigate during an independent research session [Library time?] Allow him to decide the shape of form of his findings/presentation. Decision- making starts here!
    Hope this helps.

11. You could challenge your child with literary comparisons, e.g. compare the themes/characters from books by the same author, compare the book and movie.

Make his/her own set of Top Trumps, complete with blurbs and statistics.

12. are we the only primary to disallow memory sticks? - and that's for staff - emailing back and forth may be a better bet - also can't be lost on the way to school - my experience is that mums of gat kids are most willing to co-operate with this

13. jenhet

jenhet New commenter

Thanks again for all these excellent ideas! I've learnt a lot!

14. Just out of interest, how good is he at getting on with others? Some of my G&T kids have not been given independent learning but have been challenged to work with a group of others as they can find that hard! Being able to work as part of a team is just as important as the opportunity to research your own areas of interest. I don't mean supporting others in the group but learning to cooperate, not take over and allowing others to develop their ideas as well. We have an obligation to teach our able children these so-called "soft skills" as well as developing their intellectual talents and skills.