1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Gifted and talented?

Discussion in 'English' started by roamingteacher, Mar 20, 2019.

1. roamingteacher

roamingteacher Established commenter Forum guide

1. How does your school identify gifted and talented students (if at all)?
    2. Do they differentiate between high-achieving and G&T?

2. EvaAeri

EvaAeri New commenter

Hi, my previous school looked st their SATs and those above 115 were considered high prior attainers. Some schools ask teachers to identify Gt within a subject following the typical characteristics (intellectual curiosity, pro activity, originality of thought, going the extra mile). Hope it helps.

3. roamingteacher

Thanks @EvaAeri - it does.
    I've never worked at a school that gave us any training on how to spot G&T - it was only through my own readings that I discovered it's more than high achievers. I'm very curious as to the lack of responses and wondering if it's because it's not identified in general...

4. tb9605

tb9605 Occasional commenter

I don't think it is any more - the funding for it dried up, so schools therefore aren't so fussed about identifying them. I may be wrong, but I don't think OfSTED even look at them as a group anymore: they look at High Prior Attainers, but that isn't the same thing.

Instead the new emphasis on Progress (e.g. through Progress 8) means that - in theory - the progress of all students in the school is equally important in terms of that school meeting data targets. So there is less rationale for identifying students as G&T...

5. roamingteacher

That's good to know @tb9605. Thanks for the clarification.

6. MrMedia

MrMedia Star commenter

Even the notion of HAPs and MAPs is on the way out. The ofsted research bass said identifying and catering for these groups is not supported by research. You would still adapt within lessons for them, but in general no.

Where you might make some distinction is in something like PE where you had someone being coached outside of school for elite sport. But English? No, I don’t see anything like this, (though I do still see differentiated learning objectives and tasks despite the trend being against that practice).

7. OneLooseCrank

OneLooseCrank Occasional commenter

As evaaeri, we also use a sat score of 115 to identify students who then are given a G&T moniker. We also identify high attaining pupil premium students who are essential the PPs that are on our above target at GCSE.
    I feel there used to be a lot of pressure on the need to demonstrate what planning we had put in for both G&T and low achievers, but... I don't know anymore... I feel we're identifying them out of habit.
    As for recognising high attainers, not really. We spend all our time looking at the exam year students who are below target and deciding what intervention to put in place. KS3 barely gets a mention as our grading system for lower school is a bit... Naff.