1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Gifted and talented list in RE

Discussion in 'Religious Education' started by pippump1, Jan 28, 2011.

1. Hi
    I am trying to produce a list of books and or programmes that will interest G&T students in RS KS3 & 4. I really don't want to give them extra written work so I would like to give them books that make them think about ideas that we cover such as the after life. Does anyone have any suggestions?
    Thanks

2. Hi
    I am trying to produce a list of books and or programmes that will interest G&T students in RS KS3 & 4. I really don't want to give them extra written work so I would like to give them books that make them think about ideas that we cover such as the after life. Does anyone have any suggestions?
    Thanks

3. do you expect many of them to do rs a level? if not - what about reviewing a level books to see which ones a thinking, philosophising adult would do well to have read anyway - ditto other books - do they have to be further to the syllabus or could they be 'a well-read person would have read..' - richard dawkins, michael green, elaine storkey at ks4, lionel blue, cs lewis at ks3 (sorry - i'm looking at my own bookcase so it's all judeo-christian)
    my 17yo recommends brian mcgee's confessions of a philosopher

4. I'd also say that there are quite a lot of "pop philosophy" books out there.
    You could use things like; Philosophy in The Simpsons, Twilight, South Park (age appropriate?) and other shows. There's lots if you amazon search them.

again they're all philosophy!

5. Bumping them up to the reading material for the next keystage is one straightforward idea.

Have you also suggested that they dip into the Bible or other religious texts directly?

Or instead of reading, perhaps you could get them to explore how some of the topics you study are dealt with in Art, Music, Film etc.

6. durgamata

durgamata Occasional commenter

Personally I don't like the idea of bumping G+T's up - although I know some schools get them into an afterschool club to do GCSE early. I think that dipping into the religious texts directly and perhaps exploring particular themes of their choice, using poetry, secular books and religious texts could help to widen their horizons and deepen their thinking skills.

I really like the idea of exploring topics in art, music and film. I would also add POETRY. So much of religious and spiritual expression is revealed through poetry.

Anyone with a real flair for RE is likely to be quite a spiritual person. I would encourage them to develop this aspect of their lives - with a project of their choice, perhaps. I have had some great folders of project work created like this. If someone practises a religion they can create a folder which relates to their own experience and practise - but for God's sake keep it away from any students who might make fun of or deface it in any way as they really put their heart and soul into it.

7. durgamata

I like to have a classroom library which students can use for research exercises, extension work and occasionally borrowing,

Over the years, when I come across interesting and stimulating material I have often photocopied sections and stapled them to include in a tray as part of this library. When I can, I will collect bits of this library, scanned or typed out, and add it to My Resources. I know one is a collection of pages from a book by a medium. Another is from the book Mister God This is Anna (the full books also go into the library if they are in print and not too precious.)

Encourage expansion of ideas and thinking rather than running fast along the narrow track of keystage and exam

8. i agree generally, but 'reading ahead' isn't really 'bumping up' - if you are going on to do rs a level, this would give you more time to read even more maturely in 6th form with an extra year or 2 of personal maturity under your belt, and more importantly, would introduce these books to those who whilst gifted are nevertheless not going to do a level

9. durgamata

very true. I am not at all hostile to the idea of encouraging G+T students to read anything that is going to inspire them and make them think more deeply - but I do not feel happy about seeing them pushed into GCSE early - which does happen sometimes. The GCSE syllabus is not very broad and our kids have enough pressures in their lives, so I would try to find something more creative and 'wider' - giving scope for them to explore their own interests and experiences.

10. absolutely - i teach maths and take your side in this argument on an almost daily basis - sometimes against the dreaded gcse-at-primary types [​IMG]

11. A lot of religious recommend the practice of keeping a journal of prayers, sometimes of dreams.
    Personally I'm sceptical of the spiritual value, but that shouldn't prevent you from at least introducing the idea. One reason I'm sceptical, but makes the idea maybe more useful in a school setting, is that there's often no explicit reference to God in the method, so it can be used by agnostics or as a form of "self-help".

12. durgamata

My view on this - is that if God really does exist and is Creator and Indweller of All as many believe, not just beyond the physical universe but also within it, then agnostics self-help is God at work! This concept can stimulate some great debate. I remember reading what a contemporary spiritual teacher said when asked about atheists. It was something like 'atheists are looking at the same world as I am looking at. I call it 'God,' they call it 'No God' God doesn't mind what we call it. It's just that we have a slightly different relationship. Mine is with the personal aspect of God. Theirs is with the impersonal aspect. I find the personal aspect easier to approach and giving more joy. someone said that their father was atheist and they were worried about him. The answer was something like 'If your father is happy with his 'no god' that's fine. But if he is not happy you can suggest that he tries your approach and sees if it gives him more happiness.

To get back to your point, if life is about progress towards knowing God (or the Self) better, then any kind of progress has to be welcomed. Any sort of self help - if it is real - will increase self awareness, understanding of others, loving kindness and such like. In that respect I would call it spiritual even if the authors chose to define it in another way.

I'm just home from a great Interfaith event at St Ethelburga's. They are exploring Interfaith programmes to run with schools for age 14 upwards. The leader said she feels 14 is too young. She works mostly with sixth form and university age students - but I said I've had really deep and meaningful discussion with classes from year 7 up so I think age 14 is fine. The big thing is to create a trusting relationship with the students which completely respects and accepts their viewpoint.. I think this could be a great G and T project. Give me a personal message if the idea interests you.