1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Gifted and Talented co-ordinators

Discussion in 'Primary' started by billybluehat, Apr 25, 2009.

1. Are you one? Do you have one in your school? If so i just wanted to know what you/they did/do on a day to day, week to week half termly and termly basis.
    I appreciate this isn't an easy role and if i was given it i wouldn't really know what to do or where to start.
    We have one at our school and as far as this role goes they do very little. So i just wanted to know what it is exacvtly that they could and should be doing.

Thanks in advance

2. Are you one? Do you have one in your school? If so i just wanted to know what you/they did/do on a day to day, week to week half termly and termly basis.
    I appreciate this isn't an easy role and if i was given it i wouldn't really know what to do or where to start.
    We have one at our school and as far as this role goes they do very little. So i just wanted to know what it is exacvtly that they could and should be doing.

Thanks in advance

3. Hi there,

I have been G and T coordinator for last 3 years and really enjoy the role. I use the Institutional Quality Standards for Gifted and Talented Education to structure my action plan. These are really useful as a self evaluation tool and to provide next steps.
    I have done loads fo staff training on strategies for challenging G and T pupils in class, and now that this is becoming embedded in daily practice within school, I am now at the stage of supporting subject leaders in managing provision for the G and T in their own subject areas.
    At least once per year I look at planning across school so that I can see what is going on for the G and T within lessons and so that I can decide on our next steps as a school in relation to teh Classroom Quality Standards.
    I also plan enrichment activities for G and T children which are delivered by one of our HLTAs. As well as actiuvities like this planned within school, I also work with other local G and T coordinators as part of a network to plan collaborative projects.
    We are now moving onto monitoring the progress of G and T learners through KS2.
    Hope that helps a little bit? It really does need to be a whoel school approach for you to get anywhere with the role and I have been very fortunate in having a head who gives me staff training time termly.
    The Standards can be found by doing a quick Google search.

4. Hey,

Im looking for some inspiration with regards to G and T...

What sort of enrichment activities have you organised for the gifted and talented students and in your opinion what are the top 3/4 ways in which you can challenge G and T within the classroom..

Any helps would be much appreciated.