1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Gift ideas for school?

Discussion in 'Retirement' started by anniesophie, Jan 30, 2012.

1. Am retiring this summer after many happy years at my school and would like to give staff and school a farewell gift.
    Anyone any good ideas? Other retires of many years have given a bench, tree, coffee machine etc!
    Thank you.

2. angiebabe

angiebabe New commenter

I bought the staff a 'posh' toaster because they were having to deal with 'value' ones!! Also a good tin opener. They were thrilled.
    I bought the school a large wooden 'hand' with a verse on it about how important it is to value each other (something like that, I could find the exact verse if you like). It was painted blue and had butterflies on it - absolutely gorgeous. They have mounted it on a wall where everyone can see it.

3. AdmiralNelson

AdmiralNelson New commenter

A large box of chocolates or 2 to be delivered about week 3 in the autumn term?

emerald52 likes this.
  4. Genoc

Genoc New commenter

Angiebabe....where did you get the wooden hand from and what was the verse? Such a lovely idea x

5. curlyk

curlyk New commenter

How many staff ? Something permanent always seems a good idea but ,to be honest ,in a few years time your name will have been forgotten by most of the staff.As we leave a school, the hole left by us in the water rapidly closes over !..Perhaps a regular supply of biscuits at the end of each week/month ,for a year or so ,delivered by a local supermarket or you !,or fresh fruit ,if it is that kind of staffroom.

jlishman2158 likes this.
  6. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

Nice to see you again, @curlyk!
    Your avatar is most poignant.

7. curlyk

curlyk New commenter

Well I do spend a lot of time making and drinking tea since I retired. !!! Am now back in school but as a Governor/Volunteer in a maintained Nursery school, not many of them left ! Love being with 2 - 3 year olds ,singing songs,planting a garden with them and cooking the produce with them,creating story book resources,taking part in the Bric project etc. No pressures as a volunteer,as a Governor however ! I keep up with all the educational news on this site and stick my nose in when something interests me, eg The imminent rise of new grammar schools, the disappearance of Mr Gove and Miz Morgan, the new OFSTED lead,teacher recruitment crisis .Once a teacher ,always a teacher , in mind, if not in body.xxx!

jlishman2158 likes this.
  8. jlishman2158

jlishman2158 New commenter

I'm planning to take in homemade biscuits on the first teaching day. After 2 CPD days the form teachers have 3 days with their new form class so I'm sure they will need something to cheer them up!