1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Gibb on school funding 'should' be enough...really?

Discussion in 'Education news' started by Mrsmumbles, Mar 3, 2017.

1. Mrsmumbles

Mrsmumbles Star commenter

Just been bowled over by the rare sight of a BBC journalist actually doing a proper news item about the school's funding crisis. She visits a school in Wokingham, where we've seen a Head resign in despair. A good call. This school Head resorts to flip chart an down to explain, beautifully simply, the cheeky 'pay cut plus pay increases equals massive shortfall in funding' ruse that the Tories have set up. Lots of parents watching breakfast telly starting to get worried now as they finally twig that an already overstretched school facing a 30K shortfall is in trouble. Their kids will be affected, Drumroll. Gibb is rolled out for interview. I suppose we should be grateful he agreed to be. When challenged, the hot air is puffed. But even with a funding increase, it's clearly still not enough Mr Gibb, is it? Silence. Then: 'Well..it should be enough.'
    Oh fantastic. When in doubt, hide behind meaningless modal verb. It IS NOT enough, Gibbles, and by saying that schools have to do their bit towards bringing down the deficit, you're making kids pay for political stuffups and politicising education to breaking point.

Coulda, woulda, shoulda....

emerald52, drek and schoolsout4summer like this.
  2. Mrsmumbles

3. Mrsmumbles

Coulda Woulda Shoulda
    Meaning that it is of no use to dwell on what should have (shoulda), could have (coulda) or would have (woulda) happened/been done.
    Said as an attempt to shorten a discussion that focusses on the past, thus providing no solution to an actual problem.

4. applecrumblebumble

applecrumblebumble Lead commenter

As I see it the conservatives have shown their policy. Fairer funding will mean all schools will be funded up to their base running costs (based on pupil numbers) and any school that wants more will have to go to parents to get more or sell assets if they can.
    MATs will be dumping any schools that do not have wealthy parents or no access to assets to sell. LA will have to pick up what is left, paid for by the community tax.

emerald52, drek and Mrsmumbles like this.
  5. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

Wokingham. Now who's the MP there?

I suspect that many of them really do believe that it's enough, but that's because they haven't actually bothered to (or can't - remember 11x12) do the sums. Same as they think that ordinary working people can live in London - they just have to find a slightly more economical bit.

emerald52 and Mrsmumbles like this.
  6. dleaf12

dleaf12 Lead commenter

I watched the clip before it fell off the I-Player tomorrow - But there seemed to be something up with the video because the picture showed him talking and sitting normally but when I listened to his responses to the interviewer he seemed to be saying what sounded more like "La La La I can't hear you I have my fingers in my ears La La La - School spending is at record levels"

What a ****** .

Its about time he was challenged to show a school how the funds allocated "should be enough"...

7. irs1054

irs1054 Star commenter

The difficulty with these guys is that they make the mistake of believing their own rhetoric.

Yes you can do a sum to show that "spending is at record levels" and that "everyone is being treated equally" but that does not mean that, on the ground, the result is exactly what it should be, because your calculation wasn't designed to show that.

8. Compassman

Compassman Star commenter

I watched that this morning. Well done to the BBC journalist for cornering him on the matter.

Liked the way he tried the old line 'spending is higher than ever' but the journalist pressed harder and he came up with the 'should be enough' line.

Well it isn't enough and HE needs to do something about it.

emerald52, Mrsmumbles and Shedman like this.
  9. applecrumblebumble

applecrumblebumble Lead commenter

That's because they waste money on recruitment 1.3 billion over five years, Ofsted 0.83 billion over five years and countless clipboard managers at whatever cost. Money needs to be spent on where it needed at the chalk face.

10. Mrsmumbles

Yes. Delusional bald-headed old coot.

emerald52 and drek like this.
  11. Mrsmumbles

Was talking about my uncle..

12. Mrsmumbles

Yes. That primary will be 30k worse off.

emerald52 likes this.
  13. Mrsmumbles

Hunt did exactly the same with the junior doctors...making out that the new cintracts were the best thing since sliced bread. Gove and co did it with numbers of teachers applying...note NOT the number retained.

emerald52 and drek like this.
  14. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

He has gone to press in the Melton Times refuting the NUT's claims that the schools there were to suffer massive cuts.
    As I have not seen the documentation (or the original NUT claims) I have no idea who's right. Wouldn't surprise me if they've realised the enormmity of the original plans and rewritten them

dleaf12 likes this.
  15. emerald52

emerald52 Star commenter

There's a twitter campaign think it is #schoolsjustwannahavefunds so those of you who tweet can get involved. It is so upsetting to keep hearing 'we're spending more money than ever' without recognition that there are more pupils than ever.

peggylu, dleaf12 and Mrsmumbles like this.
  16. Mrsmumbles

Thanks for the info...will sign up....

17. peggylu

peggylu Star commenter

Me too. Thanks.