1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

giant african landsnails

Discussion in 'Science' started by kstott, Jun 13, 2010.

1. I would like some please!

2. Had a root around in the tank today and counted them all. Both big ones still going (and growing). Counted 20 little ones, with two empty shells. They like the salad that our dinner lady brings for lunch!

3. blazer

blazer Star commenter

OK,

PM me with an address. I shan't send them till the new year due to the Christmas post (and snow) causing delays.

4. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Just upping this. I have around 50 now, would anyone like half a dozen?

5. wire247

wire247 New commenter

I'll have some off you. I'll pm you tomorrow. Can't do it from my home PC bloody Vista!

6. blazer

blazer Star commenter

No problem.

I won't be able to send them out till after half term.

7. What size do they grow to? What size tank do you need and would they be lonely if they were on their own..?

8. blazer

blazer Star commenter

I have mine in an old 2' by 1' aquarium with a perspex lid drilled with a few airholes. 1" of compost at the bottom. Keep damp. I feed on rabbit food and you have to put a cuttlefish bone in the tank. One snail will be OK in a smaller tank. They don't need company.

Fully grown after about 2 years their shells end up about 10cm long. My understandng is thay can live for 4 to 6 years.

9. blazer

blazer Star commenter

wire247 I have pm'd you. It is important.

10. wire247

wire247 New commenter

Got your pm. and sent reply.

May I take this opportunity to publicly say thank you?

11. Hi Blazer, do you have any left? I'm sure my form would love them.
    Thank you

12. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Yes I have plenty. pm me with an address ands I will get some into the post to you on Monday (28th).

13. blazer

blazer Star commenter

OK,

I am going to send out some snails to people who contacted my. Is there anyone else who would like a few?

pm me

blazer