1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

giant african landsnails

Discussion in 'Science' started by kstott, Jun 13, 2010.

1. kstott

kstott New commenter

Does anyone have any giant snails I could have? Our last one, James, died recently and the kids are constantly asking me if I will get another.

2. kstott

kstott New commenter

Does anyone have any giant snails I could have? Our last one, James, died recently and the kids are constantly asking me if I will get another.

3. Where are you, I have some babies but they are tiny at the moment.

4. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Mine lay plenty of eggs but I don't get any hatching.

I have posted them across the country in the past. I use a margarine tub with small airholes burned in using a hot wire. A pad of wet tissue and a few bits of dry food.

I wrap the tub in bubble wrap using a couple of elastic bands to keep the lid fixed on. and then brown paper to make a parcel.

It usually costs about a quid to post it first class. Post it on a Monday so that it won't sit in a sorting office over the weekend.

5. kstott

kstott New commenter

I'm in Denbigh, North Wales.

6. blazer

blazer Star commenter

My snails have made a liar of me. Came in this morning and there are about a dozen tiny snails running around.

7. kstott

kstott New commenter

Would you like me to take some off your hands?

8. blazer

blazer Star commenter

They are literally newly hatched. Give them a couple of days to harden off and I'll send you a few. pm me with your address.

9. kstott

kstott New commenter

Thanks, I have sent you my address re: the stick insects.

10. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Not only have my snails produced a few babies, one that I gave away to a local nursery has produced loads! So I may have to have some back and will have a few spares if anyone is interested. I need a few to keep my stock going as my adults are at least 3 years old now.

11. wire247

wire247 New commenter

Just sent you a pm.

12. blazer

blazer Star commenter

OK, the snails have been very fecund recently and I have about 40 babies. If anyone would like a few then pm me.

13. TRJ

TRJ New commenter

I could be interested.

Do you feed them lettuce? and stick a log in the tank?

14. blazer

blazer Star commenter

You can feed them fresh food, but you need to change it daily. I feed mine on dry rabbit mix. They also need a cuttle fish bone in the tank to provide them with calcium for shell building. About 2cm of compost in the bottom of the tank kept moist.

15. mine are doing well, but I think I've only got one living big one....there's still half a dozen or so of the tiny ones about - although one got taken home by a TA last week!! "you've got enough mfd1" she said!

My class love them, and as well as the cuttlefish they are eating the salad that we get for lunch

16. blazer

blazer Star commenter

I've got a few more if you want them! Tredders asked me last week if I had brought any more, McMorrow was angry because Thommo said they were faster then him![​IMG]

17. We're ok for now thanks - although the looks I got that night were classic!!
    So glad McMorrow is gone....and quite happy that Robbo is back. Will he stay when Smith is better to let Chubbs go to rehab?

18. Am i alone in finding the idea of sending live animals through the post objectionable? Has no-one else seen footage of postal workers lobbing mail across depots into sorting bins? Then there's the potential extremes of temperature related to being in a warehouse or van. African snails need warmth.
    Ebay, freecycle etc ban the offering of animals. This site should operate a similar policy. I keep giant land snails- a legacy of a teacher friend whose pets bred. I don't like them terribly much, but am committed to looking after their welfare. The classroom is not a very good place for animals of any type, but sending them by post ought to be against the law.

19. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Never heard of snail mail?

If they get a bit cool they just eostovate and then wake up when they get warm again. They live inside an armour plated house! I have sent loads of these round the country and never lost one!

20. blazer

blazer Star commenter

You can't send them until they are big enough for the stamp to fit on their shell![​IMG]