1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Ghostly activity returns to chez ork...

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Orkrider2, Oct 24, 2018.

1. nomad

nomad Star commenter

It almost certainly was a slight my sticky valve in the cistern which meant that the water was trickling in after the ballcock had initially stopped the flow.

grumpydogwoman likes this.
  2. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Air lock in the hot water system?

3. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Keep a record of when it happens so that you can be in the toilet for a performance.

needabreak likes this.
  4. mothorchid

mothorchid Star commenter

Or it might be a ghost? (Just saying, not necessarily believing) It doesn't sound like it's doing much harm. I think I'd be inclined to ask politely if it could stop disturbing you and to suggest it flushes after it's finished, then see what happens.

5. Orkrider2

Orkrider2 Star commenter

If the toilet flushed, I would legit **** my pants.

Then I would ask if I could swap the ghost for my kids who will not flush if their lives depend on it. It's been years since I've walked into a fresh toilet in my house (Mr Ork is also guilty of this).

6. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Star commenter

Our toilet often makes noises that sound like someone's doing a wee. They're the modern kind with the flappy valve thing and they leak after a while. One toilet doesn't fill after it's been flushed, but waits until a time of its choosing and suddenly starts noisily filling. Noises don't worry me because I would never attruibute them to ghosts. Our house makes all kinds of random noises. But if there were ghosts, well so what? What do you think they're going to do to you? And isn't it a bit odd that thesed things always happen when no one is there? I doubt ghosts have a deep sense of embarrassment.

If my family didn't flush the toilet I would make them go outside.

7. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

I get that weeing sound in my house but I assumed it was from next door and some peculiarity of the plumbing meant I could hear it. I hasn't worried me ... until now.

8. nomad

nomad Star commenter

If a ghost is able to pass water, then it would equally suggest that the ghost needs a source of liquid intake.

... or it is the toilet cistern!

9. stopwatch

stopwatch Lead commenter

Keeping an open mind about it - if it were a ghost - why only make the peeing sounds? why isn't it moving objects? making other noises? in other parts of the house?

10. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

With a camera, sound equipment and a brandy. ;)

Your ghost is timely, fancy deciding to take their noisy pees in the run up to Halloween! :D

I note your previous encounter was in April... *insert ghost emoji here.

11. Jolly_Roger15

Jolly_Roger15 Star commenter

I thought @oldsomeman's story of being haunted by ghostly dog farts was good but now we have @Orkrider2s 'phantom water-passer'.

12. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

My gin and tonic jumped off a side table the other day, neither I nor the dog was anywhere near it. Yesterday a pebble jumped out of the fireplace, again no one was near it.

13. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Ghost flushing happens when water leaks out of the toilet tank over a long period of time. When the water level is low enough, the float activates the fill valve and the tank refills, creating the sound of a short, mysterious flush. Usually this leak is caused by a deteriorated flapper, which is slowly allowing the water in the tank to leak into the bowl.

http://www.superterry.com/prevent-ghost-flushing-in-your-bathroom/

grumpydogwoman likes this.
  14. Orkrider2

Orkrider2 Star commenter

An elderly ghost with a weak bladder?
    Maybe the ghost of someone who died having a wee.

InkyP likes this.
  15. needabreak

Or is Ork taking the p*ss? :D:D:D

16. needabreak

:eek:

17. needabreak

They be fracking down the road?

racroesus likes this.
  18. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

It.
    Is.
    Not.
    A.
    Ghost.
    As.
    They.
    Do.
    Not.
    Exist.

needabreak and nomad like this.
  19. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

Not yet but this kind of thing did used to happen regularly at school when there was coal mining underneath. One day a window suddenly shattered, another time a clock fell off the wall narrowly missing a child.

20. needabreak

Yup my next point would be mining shafts old or new... or other sources of earth tremors including underground trains or indeed overground ones depending where you are... low flying aircraft but guessing you'd hear them and know if you were under a jet flight path.