1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Ghostly activity returns to chez ork...

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Orkrider2, Oct 24, 2018.

1. Orkrider2

Orkrider2 Star commenter

So I posted on here a few years ago about how I'd heard a really weird whisper over my baby monitor that I just couldn't explain. There were a couple of other odd things too, like weird noises upstairs hat sounded like someone bouncing a ball on the floor even though everyone was out and mr ork claiming that he saw a weird light go across the room. But it seemed to stop a couple of years ago and I haven't really thought about it much since.

Welll, yesterday I had the weirdest experience yet. I spent yesterday morning giving the upstairs a really thorough clean (glamorous half term eh?!) and I got straight in the newly pristine shower straight after. I'd got out and was in my bedroom when I heard someone having a wee in the upstairs toilet (separate from bathroom and part of the 'new' extended side of the house). Loudly. And unmistakably a boy wee (yes, there is a difference). As I'd just spent the morning scrubbing that toilet and my kids are disgusting little scuzzbuckets who are apparently allergic to flushing I came out of my room to the top of the stairs where I could see the open door to the toilet but not the actual bog (we all leave the upstairs toilet door open all the time - don't start, we just do) and I called out to whoever it was to make sure they flushed. No answer. So I went over and no one there. Popped my head into the two youngests rooms, which are on either side of the toilet, and no one there either. Went back to the top of the stairs and hollered down and all 3 kids answered from downstairs. There is no way anyone could have done a wee and gone downstairs because theyd have had to walk past me.

Then, as I looked over at the toilet again, there was a brief shadow passing over the door. The kind that you get when a bird or something flies past a window on a sunny day and casts a shadow for a fraction of a second. Except the only natural light that can get to the door in the toilet is from the small toilet window which opens directly onto the house next door with only a couple of foot space in between. No chance of sunlight coming in because of the house next door. Weird.

Told Mr ork, who told me to stop watching ghost adventures. Until tonight when he was upstairs changing out of his work clothes and he heard what he thought was the youngest having a wee upstairs. He went out to remind him to flush and wash his hands, as is standard with a 3 year old, and no one there. He maintains he not only heard distinct wee noise, very loud and prolonged, but that he also heard footsteps on the wooden floor in the toilet, which is why he was sure it was one of the kids. But all 3 were downstairs with me and had been for the past hour when mr ork called down in alarm asking who'd just been upstairs.

So come on. What rational explanation can I be blaming this phantom urinator on?

2. Nellyfuf2

Nellyfuf2 Lead commenter

Oh dear.

agathamorse likes this.
  3. Nellyfuf2

Nellyfuf2 Lead commenter

I worked in an old mental hospital.
    Lots of unexplained things like that.
    Oh dear.

agathamorse likes this.
  4. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

Vermin.
    Somewhere within the property.
    Mice.Rats.Squirrels.Ferrets. Whatever.
    It's very common,they can live and "commute" in wall cavities, water pipes, behind skirting. And they become more active at this time of year as they venture indoors just when seed and fruit sources outside are becoming scarce. They are not however looking for food in your property,more for a source of water. If they like it there, they will nest,and continue to make noises as they travel back and forth for food from outside. The noises will only happen when you are out of the room as movement of other creatures or people will make them freeze defensively for a while.
    Put a small blob of peanut butter on the bathroom floor by the wall before you go to bed tonight.
    If it's gone in the morning then I'm right. If it's not gone, it doesn't mean I,m wrong-they could be somewhere in the property but unable to gain complete physical access to your living space.

Don't believe that noise from vermin is limited to squeaking-they can make tapping sounds if they want to create a passage somewhere, and they can bang about and crash a bit as they do a form of "play" jumping where they can hone their teeth by hitting something repeatedly. If the acoustic environment is right, that'll sound like a human presence in some way.
    If you have a friend who owns a Jack Russel, invite it over-it will go bonkers if there are vermin about.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2018
    agathamorse likes this.
  5. Nellyfuf2

Nellyfuf2 Lead commenter

Is it an old house?

6. Orkrider2

Orkrider2 Star commenter

Can they make it sound like someone is having a long wee into a toilet? This was a very clear, very distinct noise of a prolonged trickle of liquid hitting liquid from a distance (hence knowing it was a boy sounding wee).

7. Orkrider2

Orkrider2 Star commenter

Not really. A typical 1930s semi, but it has been extended on the unattached side to kind of mirror the original side and pretty much double the size of the property. The upstairs toilet is on the new side inbetween two smallish double bedrooms that the two youngest have. I think it was extended about 20 years ago or so.

8. Nellyfuf2

Nellyfuf2 Lead commenter

Ok
    so what else has happened in the place?

9. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

Quite possibly.
    Don't underestimate the sounds they can make.

It could also be that the flush mechanism on your toilet is not operating properly- maybe you are hearing a slow refill of the cistern. Lift the lid and see what happens when you flush...

Or it could be a blockage to your drain outside and some waste water is slapping onto the ground instead of flowing away.

There will be an "Ahhhh!" explanation even if you cannot find it immediately-I'm sure it isn't Final Destination at your place.

Edit-just re read your opening post-you had showered.Well perhaps it was that strange trickle of water that can happen after a shower, even some minutes after you've switched it off. The water landing not in the loo but in the bath, or whatever your shower occupies...

Last edited: Oct 24, 2018
  10. Nellyfuf2

Nellyfuf2 Lead commenter

Ho hum
    You should a bin there when there was poltergeist fun to be had where I worked..........
    there was never and Ahh explanation.
    Official.

11. Orkrider2

Orkrider2 Star commenter

12. Orkrider2

Orkrider2 Star commenter

This was definitely toilet. Definitely definitely. And it was definitely coming from the toilet which isn't in the bathroom. I'm used to the shower suddenly releasing a bit more water a couple of minutes after we've shut it off, and I know that sound well. The shower is in the original part of the house, at the back on what would have been the external wall before the extension. The toilet is on the new external wall of the extension between a front and back bedroom. Definitely not water outside, definitely not in the bathroom, definitely liquid hitting water in the toilet bowl. 100%.
    I would doubt my own recollection, but Mr Ork heard exactly the same thing. And it wasn't a brief trickle, the kind that you get when the shower suddenly drips after you turn it on, this was about 10 seconds of continuous stream of liquid hitting the water in the toilet bowl at a distance. Mr Ork never shuts the door of either toilet (the rest of us are only that gross upstairs) so I hear that sound several times a day.

13. Orkrider2

Orkrider2 Star commenter

Weirdly, I'm not actually spooked at all, just think it's weird. I've been frightened before in this house, and if I'm downstairs alone I have to have the door to the front room shut before I go up to bed because I don't like walking past it in the dark. There's something about it that gives me the heebie jeebies. I don't even really like sitting in there during the day and spend all my time in the family room in the extension side. I've given that side over to the kids and their darn playstation.

A couple of weeks ago, the youngest did get up in the middle of the night and start talking about the little boy he was playing with but I'm 99% sure that's just a 3 year olds imagination at work. I hope. :eek:

agathamorse likes this.
  14. Orkrider2

Orkrider2 Star commenter

Please elaborate! I love spooky stories (in other people's houses preferably though)

15. nomad

nomad Star commenter

So your ghost was just taking the piss?

16. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

goodness, if I got worried every time I hear watery sounds, I would never have a break between worrying spells!.Water moved in pipes. Sometimes you hear it. It depends on many things, air pressure outside, air pressure inside, someone further alone the same pipe running a bath, emptying a bath, turning on their heating, bleeding their radiators, not bleeding their radiators.

The water in the pipe next to me has just made a splashing sound, I wouldn't have even registered if I hadn't been writing this.

The water level in my toilet falls fall an inch on windy days and rises again when the sun comes out.

Its the very nature of water!

Have you turned your heating on?
    Have you left you radiators unbled?
    do you have an airlock?

Hopefully you don't have a leak anywhere!

honestly, there could be so many reasons for new sound, it wouldn't occur to me to call it ghostly!

17. Orkrider2

Orkrider2 Star commenter

I can't reiterate enough that this wasn't a new sound. It wasn't just a watery sound. It wasn't the sound of water in pipes. I hear those sounds, I know those sounds. It was the very distinct sound of a stream of water hitting the bowl of a toilet. The toilet was only about 5 metres away and the door was open so I heard it really clearly.

I've just come out of the shower and hung around to see if it caused any kind of change in water pressure that might lead to some water being discharged from the cistern into the bowl, but no.

It'll remain a mystery.

agathamorse likes this.
  18. stopwatch

stopwatch Lead commenter

We had this. It was a faulty valve (or something like that - I’m not DIY oriented) in the cistern. It would suddenly begin trickling at the back of the toilet bowl, sounding like a pee was happening. Mind you, for us, we were able to see it. It sounds like you are saying it stops when you go to look at it.

19. stopwatch

stopwatch Lead commenter

When you hear it, if you are only 5 meters away, have you gone straight in to check it? If so, has it stopped before you have entered the room?

20. Orkrider2

Orkrider2 Star commenter

I didn't go straight in, because I presumed it was one of my boys having a wee, so I just shouted. It stopped before I even shouted. I only walked round the corner so that I could see into the toilet when there was no answer (usually a sign youngest is up to mischief).
    I will investigate the leaky valve thing and see if it continues. Most likely explanation so far...