1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Ghosted after Job Application

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by joel120193, Jun 9, 2020.

1. joel120193

joel120193 New commenter

Just a quick advice seeking here, as you will soon understand, there isn't actually much I can do.

I am currently in my second year of teaching, and I am willing to progress in my career so I looked at applying for some jobs. If I didn't get them, no bother.

In February I applied for a Science teacher position, with responsibilities for STEM whole school. In early March, I was told that I was successful in my application and would have an interview the following week, I was just awaiting more details. Then Coronavirus happened.

The date for the interview then passed, and I had heard nothing from the school. I emailed the school and recieved a reply confirming that I would get an interview soon, just to be patient given the circumstances. Fair dos, I thought.

Three weeks later, I sent another email and got a reply saying the school is focusing on the issue at hand, and will be in touch in the future.

I then sent another email mentioning it was two weeks before the deadline for resigning from my current position, and then sent another one week before the deadline, and recieved no reply to either.

Its now been two weeks since I cannot resign from my post, so I therefore cannot start that job in September as I originally intended.

What do I do? I have thought through a few options:
    • Email or ring and ask for an explanation
    • Email or ring and convey my dismay at how unprofessional they have been
    • Email or ring and suggest I have the interview with me taking the job in the new year
    • Just let the whole thing drop
    Any advice would help :)

2. Cantwaittogo

Cantwaittogo New commenter

3. DrJay

DrJay Occasional commenter

There is nothing you can do here about this particular school. I'll stop contacting them - otherwise it will seems as if you're desperate and pestering them. Circumstances there may have changed, and they no longer need you. Some teachers resigned just before the lock down and had to quickly rescind their resignations, meaning the vacuum initially created no longer existed. Besides, you only reached the shortlisted stage. Given that you're in your second year of teaching - implying you have only taught one full academic year (the 2nd year not really counting being COVID-19 year), the school may have shortlisted more experienced candidates, interviewed them and see no need to proceed with you. In any case, the school has your details. If they really wanted you they'll be in touch. Start looking for similar positions elsewhere if you're keen on it. Good luck and keep staying safe.

4. Morninglover

Morninglover Star commenter

These are unusual - unprecedented - circumstances; but if the school can't communicate with you effectively over a job they want to offer you, then I'd say you've had a lucky escape from working for a poor employer. Move on.

5. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Exactly.

Move on, forget them, concentrate on making a good start back in your current school, and possibly on widening your experience to make you an even better candidate with the next school.

Best wishes

6. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

I take the same line as everyone else.
    So why be bothered?
    I've had a fair number of interviews, but not all of them led to jobs.
    If they get back to you, you can take pleasure in informing them that you're not available.
    Maybe. I'm certainly glad not to be working in certain places. (Several former would be employers should now be quivering in my psychic anger.)
    Maybe they like to see every candidate in action with children and haven't had an opportunity to see this. In your first paragraph. Maybe people haven't resigned.
    This. There will be more interviews and more jobs.

A few years ago I had a good interview in what I thought was a terrific school. I didn't get it, (but they were ever so nice in the way they let me down).
    Shortly afterwards, I had life threatening illness with more than a year off work and considerable need of the support of my community. At the same time Ofsted came and "measured" the school. Sometimes not getting a job is the best thing.

IanG, agathamorse and TheoGriff like this.