1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Gggrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!!! Slap cheek and GPs!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Pregnancy' started by Millie dog, Jun 16, 2009.

1. Millie dog

Millie dog New commenter

Well, after seeing GP yesterday, told school manager this morning that i'm pregnant. 20 minutes later a phone call to say that a child in my class has suspected slap cheek. Now, as has happened in the past, pregnant teachers just up and leave. School manager told me to check with GP (as no midwife allocated to me yet - only 5 weeks!) then leave the school. Finally got through to GP for him to say to me to not worry about it and carry on as normal (!) just try to avoid the child(!!!). I said that pregnant women have left on the advice of their midwives and surely i need a blood test - to which he replied, if the school want me to have a blood test then occupational health should do it.
    School manager was very good about it and told me to leave anyway and self certificate. I am now currently at home trying to google to phone number of the local midwives to get a sensible answer on what i should be doing.
    grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr [​IMG]

2. Hi
    Sorry to hear about your rubbish treatment by the GP.
    I was in the same position as you last week. GP said that I was not to return to work until I had blood tests to check for immunity. I am now twiddling my thumbs and waiting for the results. Can you speak to another GP?

3. Millie dog

Millie dog New commenter

I managed to speak to the early pregnancy unit at hospital who said i needed the blood test and to see another GP. I have an appointment this evening so we'll wait and see what he says..... School have been very good about it and have phoned school nurse and occupational health to get some clarification on what we should be doing as everyone is giving conflicting advice!

4. Im glad your school is helpful Millie, it makes all the difference. Its an odd one slap cheek, Ive been told a number of things, my school were really positive too, and my GP seemed unconcerned.
    When would your due date be millie? I think we will be in the same week!

5. Millie dog

Millie dog New commenter

Hi Pippy,
    GP told me due date is 18th Feb, although when i put my info into due date calculator on internet it tells me 20th Feb - I suppose a couple of days makes no difference - babies usually don't appear on due day anyway!!! How about you???
    My colleague is also pregnant (24 weeks) and also went home today because of slapcheek - her midwife has told her to stay away until monday.
    MD
    x

6. This has worried me somewhat; I found out last week that there was slapped cheek in school but stayed at school and didn't get blood test until today at my midwife booking appointment.... will get the results next week sometime. In the meantime I shall be going to school as normal!
    The way I look at it, having been a teacher 5 years and in a key stage 1 class which was rife with it, I presume I'm immune...... what could it do to the bean if I'm not?
    Really, teachers just up and leave?! If that were the case I'd have had a week or two off! Surely it's not that dangerous?! [​IMG]

7. Oh my God I should be off school!

8. Millie dog

Millie dog New commenter

Clematis - my colleague has been teaching KS1 for 8 years - her blood test back from the midwife showed that she has no immunity to slap cheek hence why she still disappears when we have a case.
    According to NHS direct it increases the risk of miscarriage below 20 weeks and also can give foetus abnormalities. As the school said to me - it is my decision what i want to do but they would back whatever i decided and at the end of the day they are the ones telling me what the risks are. Will know more when i see GP later - will give you an update Clem then you can make an informed decision if you ever come across the situation again.
    x

9. Thanks Millie... am really worried now! [​IMG] My head is a mum though- she just got back after maternity leave- so I don't know why she didn't make more of it, just said I should go and get a blood test- no sense of urgency or necessity to leave the school or anything!

10. I should be the 17th of Feb!
    Clematis, most people do find that they aren't vunerable as you can carry it and not know apparently (so the school nurse said) When I was looking into it I was told the vunerable time is long before you find out they have it, as the redness doesnt appear when they are at their most contagious(sp?) but afterwards so you you may not know if someone has it until after you may have been affected, having blood tests is almost precautionary just incase you could be effected. Sorry if this is all guff Im just passing on what I have been told. Does anyone know any different?

11. EBC

EBC New commenter

I know this has come up before..but what is slap cheek? I get the idea but what actually is it?

12. Millie dog

Millie dog New commenter

slap cheek is also called the parvovirus (B19) - if you google 'slap cheek pregnancy' you'll get lots of info.
    Well - back from GP and a meeting with head. They've all spent the day trying to get the definitive answer about what we should do - the official word from infection control is that women who are 21 weeks or less have a heightened risk of miscarriage if they contract slap cheek. You pose as much risk mixing with the general public as you do with school children of getting it. 60% of adults are already immune to it and the blood test is to tell you if you are immune or not. As has been said already, the infectious period is before the red rash on the face appears. The advice is that you don't need to leave school unless there is an outbreak in your class - an outbreak is 2 or more children (which is the case for me!) Basically, it's all a bit confusing and everyone i've spoken to today has a different opinion on it. As for me, I had a blood test this evening, results due back hopefully on Thurs lunch. GP and Head both agree that i should stay away until results come back.
    hope that helps!
    x

13. I am now 30 weeks pregnant and went through all of this when I was about 12 weeks pregnant. A child in my class had parvovirus - but it was one isolated case. Advice from the midwide was that unless more children contracted it then there was no point in being away from school. Once the slap cheek rash has appeared the child is no longer contagious so unfortunately once it is diagnosed you will have already been exposed to it. I was given extra blood tests to check my immunity and fortunately I was found to be already immune - I hope this is the case for you, it was a very stressful time. However, even if you are not immune, the chances of any problems are pretty small and you will get extra scans and more monitoring. Try not to worry about it too much (I know it's difficult not to).

14. I also went through it but was about 9 weeks at the time. I called my GP from school and booked in for a blood test. I then stayed off work until the results were in. It did mean having to tell my head earlier than expected but she was great about it. The GP also checked my rubella and checked to see if I was immune to chicken pox as I've never had them. I was immune and went back to work but weirdly I still avoid kids when they've got slapped cheek!

x

15. Millie dog

Millie dog New commenter

well.......blood test results were suppose to be back this morning, but NOTHING!! They say they might be back later today.........or they might be back tomorrow................ I did point out that i wasn't working until they were back, but receptionist wasn't interested!
    Gembop - how long did it take for your results to come back??

16. Each of my slapped cheek blood tests took 2 weeks to come back, but that was because they had to go to a different hospital as they didn't test for it at my local one.

17. Millie dog

Millie dog New commenter

Bloods were taken Tuesday and GP said they would be back today - hope it's not going to take 2 weeks!!!! Need to get back to school - so much going on!!!!

18. I had it in a class I was teaching during my last pregnancy and had the hospital run extra tests on my bloods for immunity. I was immune because I had chicken pox as a child which also confers immunity for slapped cheek. You do need to be careful but I have yet to come across a supportive school - you are really lucky where you are. Take the time off if you need it. Nothing is more important than your health and that of your baby.

19. Millie dog

Millie dog New commenter

thanks for that showgirl - so are you saying that if you are immune to chicken pox then you are immune to slap cheek?? I have had both chicken pox and shingles so definately got some of that floating round my body!!!
    To be honest it's driving me up the wall!! School are being good - for the moment.... Apparently another midwife phoned the school today to contradict all the info that we had been given so far - why can't the Health Authority all read and follow the same guidlines!!!!!! We're not medics - we don't know what we should be doing. It's a complete farce and to be honest i'm tempted to go back to work on monday whether blood results are back or not!!!
    x

20. Oooh, showgirl, I've had chicken pox! Does that mean I'm likely to be immune from slapped cheek too?