1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Getting your pets looked after when on holiday!?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by anon1369, Feb 11, 2011.

1. Just wondering what other people do with their pets when they go on holiday? How much do you pay/would you expect to be paid?
    I ask because MIL has told (not asked) us that we will be looking after her beloved dog this year when they go on holiday. Now Mr CC is currently living with his parents but the dog is not a family pet it belongs solely to MIL. She believes that she shouldn't pay him anything as he lives there but will pay him £10 for the whole week.
    Last year we looked after him for 2 weeks when they went away but we had our own rented property (pets not allowed) so had to move into MILs for the fortnight and we were £20.
    Obviously its not that difficult to look after him but it is rather inconvenient because we have to rearrange any plans we have to make sure that he is not left alone for too long and that we can feed him at a suitable time. He has a lovely ([​IMG]) habit of waking us up very early in the morning to be fed because thats the time he is used to being fed.
    Also if we want to go away then we can't go when they are (they have yet to book anything). Last year we had arranged to go camping and it turned out to be during the time they were away so we took him with us and it was a total nightmare! The weather turned out to be hideous and none of the pubs would let us go inside with him so we had to sit outside in the cold/wet or retreat to our tent. We will not be repeating that again haha.
    So back to the original question, would you expect to be paid for looking after somebodys pet and how much would you expect? Thanks!

2. tartetatin

tartetatin New commenter

We don't have a pet so my reply is purely theoretical, but I absolutely wouldn't expect to be paid for looking after the pet of a friend/family member.
    Provided they supplied the pet food, I'd be happy.

3. tartetatin

tartetatin New commenter

Actually, is there a reason why she can't put the dog into kennels? It does seem very forward of her to assume that it's okay for you to do it.

4. I paid my friend's daugher £40 to look after our house & dog for two weeks while we were away.

5. anon468

anon468 New commenter

When we've had to be away overnight and couldn't take doggie with us (once in 6 years - I kid you not!), we left her with a fantastic local lady and her husband who do this as a paid service. They charge £8 per day and £16 if the dog is staying overnight. They do walkies and everything and I think this is an absolute bargain.
    Personally, if I was asked by a friend or relative to look after their dog (and I have done) I wouldn't accept any money for doing so. I'd do it as a favour or not at all*. I'm a dog person, so I'm well used to the restrictions a dog can place on one. If you're not used to this, it can be a complete pain in the bahookey! Fortunately, I reckon that the joy to be gained from having a dog in your life far outweighs this.
    *am usually rewarded with a decent bottle of wine though, which is most acceptable! [​IMG]

6. I fully understand some people wouldn't expect to be paid for looking after a family/friends pet but I think with a dog in particular it can be quite demanding, which is the reason I have not got my own dog although I would love one.
    Yes the reason is money! They won't pay to put him into kennels ans instead expect me and Mr CC to do it. Mr CC has broached this issue with her and said she can't just expect it but her thinking is that she can because he is living there so will be there anyway.

7. Can I suggest, in the nicest possible way that if Mr.C.C. doesn't want to be inconvenienced by having to be part of a family and undertake family duties whilst living in a family home then he move out to his own domain and tell his mother to stuff it.

8. I think the local place where I put my cats charges a tenner a day for dogs. includes walks and dog food, although many owners provide their own preferred dog food.

9. hmm, soudns a bit like the owners like to eat their dog's food. You all knew what I meant anyway.

10. I agree with this. My family and neighbours look after my pets all the time. I bring thema present back or reciprocate in some way. I have never, ever paid a family member or friend for pet-sitting.

11. anon468

anon468 New commenter

glitterkid - when I was wee I used to eat the dog's Bonio biscuits.
    This probably explains a lot... [​IMG]

12. tartetatin

tartetatin New commenter

Oops, sorry OP, I misread your post. In that case, I agree with Bauble. As he lives with his parents anyway (this is the part I missed [​IMG] ), then it would seem churlish of him to refuse to look after the dog in their absence.

13. tartetatin

tartetatin New commenter

.... and expect to be paid for it!

14. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

Mr CC lives with his mother. It's only appropriate that he should help out by minding the dog whilst she's away. What next - a fee for locking the doors when she's not there?

15. I think its a bit out of order too. When we go away our cats are cared for partly by my mum, and partly by a petsitter who charges about £7 a visit. My mum always offers to come at the times she isnt working (we live about 20 mins away) and the rest of the times we book the petsitter. Im always very grateful, and have during school holidays moved into her house for a week or so before to do the same for her cats.
    We also do the same with friends who live a bit closer - popping in to feed their cats when theyre away and vice versa.
    I know dogs are more demanding, but you said yourself you would like a dog if you had the time for it - why dont you enjoy having your 'own' dog for the time they are away? I'd love it!
    And as others have said, your OH LIVES with his parents - do you not find it a bit pompous to then refuse to look after their family pet? Would he REALLY be happy still staying there knowing the dog was in kennels and parents out of pocket for absolutely no good reason?
    I find it selfish that you/he expect to be paid just because the dog will 'wake you up early' and you may have to think a little carefully about plans. Its only a week, put up with it.

16. catmother

catmother Lead commenter

Just like other posters,I'm a bit confused about where the problem might be. If I understand this right,the OP's boyfriend (I assume not husband?) still lives at his parents house and his parents (rightly,in my book) expect him to look after their pet when they go away? Can't see where the problem is. If my stepsons still lived with us,I would expect them to look after my pet if I was away. Plus,I would not pay them any money for it!

17. When you put it like that it sounds like a teenager demanding pocket money for chores they should do anyway!

18. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Our cat is a six dinner Sid and so if one of his usual houses is closed then he just uses the others more.

19. catmother

catmother Lead commenter

Exactly. This is why I wonder if I've understood the situation correctly.

20. Son 3 has kindly agreed to move into the house for a week to look after the pets while we are away. He will have free run of the fridge and freezer, I will leave him wine and beer and his girlfriend can come and stay over if she wants to. I will not be paying him and he certainly doesn't expect to be paid but I will bring him something nice from hols. That is how families work.